This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax dodgers

I’ve mentioned that we are troubled by neighbours continually working on old bangers in the street. Some of them look potentially unroadworthy and one is not taxed - the tax disk expired in December 2002. So the question is, do I report it? My main concern is not about an opportunity to get at them, it’s bit more than that. The driver of the untaxed car is very erratic in his driving, :drive:some of the most laboured and clumsy parking manoeuvres I’ve seen so that I’m often afraid that he’ll bump my car in the process. As I understand things, if his car is not taxed his insurance will be invalid (assuming that he has any) so if he bumps my car I’ll end up paying for the damage. It would be no good trying to sue him, he’s on benefit and would be unable to pay. What would you do?

:huh:

is he driving his untaxed car? id definitely report it. he might not have bothered to get insurance either. i would report any car untaxed on the public highway, i have to pay for my car and so should everyone else. i dont want to have an accident and lose my no claims cos the idiot i crashed into had no tax or insurance.

and another thing, if you only have third party, fire and theft insurance and you bang into an uninsured driver, you are stuffed pure and simple.

im on your side matey!!! phone that council!!!
    http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

I also think you should report it. Even if he has insurance it might be invalidated by an expired tax disc. Imagine if he killed somebody?

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

At the end of the day Eskander, it's up to you how you feel you should handle this.

If I were you and I was worried about it, then I would probably contact the Police and/or DVLA.

Comment

Thanks all. I think I'll report it.

Comment

Hi Esk,

If you are reporting it try the Council's Environmental Health Dept and the police.

The police might try and fob you off, but they will have to look into it whatever - they can check with DVLA. If it's on Council property, then the Council's Housing department must deal with it (same goes if it's Housing Association - report to the Housing a**'n).

Mazza

:nfh1:

Comment

Hi Esk

You would be right to report it. I myself wouldn't hesitate as innocent lives are at risk from this individual.

I remember a while ago something that somebody told me, and that is that tax, MOT and insurance go together, and without one the others are invalid.

I'm not sure how true this is, but it does make sense as you need insurance and MOT to get the tax.

Good luck :clover:

Tri

Comment

The Motor Insurance Bureau should be able to cover uninsured losses if some loser with no insurance hits your car.

I think there is a special line to report this kind of behaviour. I'll see if I can find it for you. In the meanwhile, 0800 555111, Crimeline might be worth a try...

Comment

Hi Eskander

At the end of the day, you can report it to the DVLA/ Police as Holly says. Even if it's on private land, and untaxed, these days you are obliged to complete a SORN declaration for the DVLA. If it is being driven without tax, then I'm sure the police will be interested.

If it was believed to be an abandoned vehicle, and on a public highway, then the council has responsibility. But this can take weeks, and involves the council doing lots of checking with the DVLA, possible owner(or last known keeper), sticking notices on the car, etc . Your councillor could advise on this process.

Check the insurance angle with your insurance broker, they should be able to clarify that issue.

Do you believe they are operating a business with these car repairs? Our local council tenancy agreement prohibits this from a council tenancy. And I don't suppose the taxman would be thrilled if people were not declaring earned income. Nor would the Job Centre be best pleased if someone is signing on, and earning undeclared money.

Sapph

Comment

I'm very grateful for the advice you have all given me.

Interesting development. Had another lok at the car yesterday evening to make sure it had not been taxed since I last looked - didn't want to look daft if I reported it. The owner saw me looking and responded in his usual vernacular "What you f**ing looking at" etc. But, 10 minutes later he drove off and the car has not returned. Not much point in reporting it if I don't know where it is, can't believe the police will be interested in such circumstances. The way I see it there were 5 old bangers, now there are 4. If the car returns I'll report it immediately. If he denies owning it, I have photographs of him working on it.

In answer to some questions: The car is kept on the public highway. I have suggested to the council and the housing association that they may be running a business and they are both investigating.

Comment

Thanks for update Eskander

I suppose it's one less car to bother about! And if it's back....as you say, you can report it.

Hopefully, a combination of tactics should help yield some results!

Sapph

Comment

Sorry to say but the police won't be interested anyway. They'll say you need to contact the DVLA. Bizarre but true. However if it is parked on Council property they will investigate and leave a notice asking for it to be removed

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_tax_car.htm#6

If the government is so concerned about congestion on the roads, perhaps if they paid a bit more attention to removing those vehicles that are untaxed and uninsured, that woukld make a hefty dent in the numbers.
                        Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

The following number gets you through to the National Intelligence Co-ordinator at the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency.

Office: 0117 9543336

Fax: 0117 9543398

This is designed for people who are aware of someone who is breaknig the law.

If they can't be bothered to be nice to their neighbours, do you really think they can be bothered to abide by the law? And they risk hurting or killing others...

Comment

and if anyone is still in any doubt about whether to report uninsured drivers/untaxed cars, in on of the sunday papers yesterday there was a report about this very matter .

the cost to the insurance industry is at least £300 million per annum and this definitely impacts on our premiums. the industry has set up a database which will show whether a car is insured or not and at present 25,000 police officers are involved at any time checking drivers.

i am sure we would all rather these police officers were dealing with burglariesmuggings murder etc than clogged up dealing with selfish inconsiderate people who think its their right to drive a car, yet cant be bothered to pay for it.

i have just reported a van on our road, i know it belongs to a neighbour but it has been untaxed since february. he has it on the road itself even though he has 2 offstreet parking spaces. the KFH have let its tyres down and it is a blinking eyesore.
                            http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice. As I said above the car has now gone but some of the others have tax which will expire shortly so I'm keeping an eye on them. Thanks to your advice I know exactly what to do if the untaxed car returns or if the tax is not renewed on the others

Comment

Working...
                              X