No announcement yet.

Loud Public Address Systems

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Public Address Systems

Not exactly a "neighbour" but a neighbourhood nuisance all the same.

I live in a city centre (more fool me!) right next to a railway station. The noise from the trains is bearable but what's disturbing me (and waking me up in the middle of the night) is the loud and frequent station announcements.

The station has just implemented an automated system to replace annoucements made by staff. Previously, the staff could make a judgement about if they should make an announcement when a train was about to arrive. Also, when the staff went home the announcements would obviously stop.

Now though, the automated system starts at 5.40am and carries on until just before midnight. There's seldom more than 10 seconds between each announcement at peak times.

The volume is too high in my opionion (well, I would say that!); I can hear it even with the windows closed but with all the windows open (as they've had to be in this heatwave), the noise is too much. It seems there's no escape from the noise and it's driving me crazy!

I've emailed the railway company - no response - and a few days ago I wrote a letter to the Operations Manager. I hope he treats my complaint constructively.

Does anybody have any other suggestions (apart from moving - I've signed a 6 month contract with the letting agents)?

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum

Sorry to hear you're not managing to get any sleep with all this noise. I bet it's really bad if you have to keep your windows shut too - especially in this weather.

I think the best place for me to point you to at the moment is the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act of 1993:

The Noise Act 1996:

You'll find a lot of support frmo members on this Forum, and you can find further information about noise and coping strategies on the NFH Home Page in the Self Help Articles, legislation and resources sections.

Personally, I think your first complaint should be to your local authority's Envirnmental Health department. Try that and see how you get on.

If you are wanting to move out of your tenancy, then it is possible even though you have signed a six month fixed term agreement.

Good luck - come back herre often for advice from other members.

Hi Steve and welcome

Sheesh, what a nightmare. I'd be inclined, as Holly says, to get in touch with your local Environmental Healt Office and ask them to monitor the noise levels.

Sorry I can't think of any other advice. I'm sure other members will be along with some soon. Good luck

"Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Eeek ... not nice.

I agree with Misty, get the EA on your side and let the big organisations slug it out.

Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll wait until the weekend to give the general manager of the railway company a chance to write back and, if I don't get a satisfactory response (or any response at all) I'll contact the Environmental Health officer as you suggested. I'll let you know how this progresses.

Thanks again.

I have been looking in a big book and found some stuff on loud speakers, then Matthew pointed out that we had a snippet of it on the main site!!

loud speaker

I am wondering if the station should of had planning permission as well for such a thing as its in a residentail area???

will keep looking for you!

Well, there are two ways to look at this. "I moved to a home next to a railway station and it is noisy." (No! Really?? )

Or... me being helpful here: who sold you the property? Did they dont disclose this vital fact to you? If not, you could have a case in law.

it seems the trains are one thing but the train annoucements are new, after he moved in.

my NFH(s) both moved in after me, so I had no choice the same as steve having no choice but to listen to when the next london train is leaving platform 3!!

different tone and frequancy can really disturb sleep,

ie I grew up near a MOD airfield, the planes never bothered me, got very used to them, but if I have to sleep in at work I have a dreadful time because of the town hall clock bonging!

I think you may have missed two important points in Steve's post.

- a new system has just been implemented, i.e. it wasn't always like this during unsocial hours, and

- Steve hasn't bought the property, they are renting.

Hi Steve

Agree with Holly...also,saw a progamme not long ago where someone in Inner London(someone famous, if I remember slightly!) was taking on the rail company. I think new trains or something. Anyway, the point seemed to be that there was now a DIFFERENCE in noise level since the changes. Wonder if there's any mileage in seeing if any neighbours all agree that there has been a noticeable increase in the noise and that it's impacting on them also?

Keep us posted!

also,saw a progamme not long ago where someone in Inner London(someone famous, if I remember slightly!) was taking on the rail company.

It was Paul McKenna, Sapph, didn't he threaten to hypnotize them into thinking they were chickens? :lol: I think it was actually one of the Neighbours from Hell progs.

"Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

That's right Misty!! As I said, remember slightly :lol:

Can't remember if anyone behaved like a chicken in the end

Renting? A case against the landlord, then?

I don't think anything can be brought against the landlord, especially as this new automated systems has only just been introduced. Even if it hadn't, it's nothing to do with the landlord.

The landlord is not interfering with Steve's quiet enjoyment of the tenancy, it's the railway company/ station. If the rail company don't change the system back to how it was, then it's a matter for the Environmental Health Teams.

And maybe Paul Mckenna? :lol: