This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumble Dryer Ventin

Our neighbour gave us permission last year to install a tumble dryer vent in our wall which borders their "courtyard". Since then they have sold off their garden (to build on) and asked us if we would sell part of our garden. As we said no things have degenerated to the extent that now they have asked us to remove the vent. The vent itself protrudes about 1.4" into their space and we have offered to install a flush mounting one.........they had placed a stone jar against our vent without our knowledge and we were at first puzzled as to why the dryer was not working as efficiently.

We do not have a suitable wall to move the vent too and given the summer is at an end then the need to use it will increase, they have been rather abusive and stated that they will take us to court if nessesary. Totally over the top.

Anyone got good advice , we have responded to their letters but now we do not feel that we can talk rationally to them. although the wife is the most "unstable".

Hi Tracker, and welcome to NFHiB

I must admit I am rather bemused! What is it they are actually going to take you to court for? :blink: It's your wall, I assume? And some warm air is being vented into the open air? Not sure exactly what they are saying the problem is with this! (Although it seems patently obvious what their real issue is ).

Regards

Sapph

Comment

:huh:

Gosh,

how pedantic, eh?

They GAVE you permission - do you have this in writing?

I don't think they can say too much about it now that the vent is actually installed and I presume a period of time has passed where they have said nothing about it?

It's a pity you can't move the vent higher up the wall - like to see them find a stone pot tall enough for that ! B) .

I also would have thought that if they are obstructing your vent, they are interfering with your property and you could get an injunction out against them for that!

Sorry, not much more help - unless they shut up, it looks like you are also going to be a victim of the 'NFH terrorist' who forces you down unnecessarily expensive and pathetically puerile legal routes... :sad: (I can identify with that :huh: )

Perhaps they are just blowing hot air (no pun intended! ) and just want to wind you up because of the land thing.

Good Luck

Mazza

:nfh1:

Comment

Why not ask them to pay for you to replace your drier with a condenser drier? Or offer the aleternatives of letting your original agreement stand, or going to mediation. Seems too trivial to spend money on lawyers for (thought there may be more in the package??) but planning/building control may help (your local council) regarding regulations for venting hot air.

Have you tried pushing the brick away from inside with a knitting needle?

So sad that little people have to try to bring everyone down to their own level.
        "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

I dont think there is anything they can do about this whatsoever so please dont be bullied. in fact if they keep on obstructing the vent you have the right on your side, to complain about them!

by the way, they dont have to give you permission for this vent, it was just a courtesy on your part that you TOLD them you were going to do it. you do not have to take the vent away or move it one inch.

you are in the right here, so dont let them terrorise and browbeat you into doing things their way.

some people are so petty and pathetic :rant:
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi tracker and welcome to the Forum

I don't know if I've got this right here, so it would help if you could maybe clarify a bit more.

The vent that you have on your wall protrudes into their space? So, this is therefore a boundary issue?

I think that they may have a point with this, but obviously they should be able to discuss it with you without being aggressive...

I would suggest you have a look on the links section on the NFHiB Home Page to the boundary and garden sites. I'm not up on this sort of issue, but know that if your trees were protruding into their space, they would be able to cut back the branches that were within their boundary (provided they returned them to you).

What's the state of play at the moment?

Comment

Leave the vent where it is -and buy an aditional condensing unit to use with your dryer indoors!

We have one, it works very well with our dryer.

Comment

Condensing unit?

I didn't know you could get them for dryers, or is it a standalone system?

FF
                Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

The condensing units are chunky plastic boxes with vents with two (usually) water thingies in them that you take and freeze. Then once frozen, you put them in the plastic vent box.

You attach your tumble drier hose to the top of it and the idea is that the ice inside condenses the steam from the clothes drying and at the end of the cycle you tip the condensed water away.

You can dry as much as you can until the ice defrosts.

They cost about 15 quid from homeware catalogues (e.g. Betterware, Kleeneze, Ideal Home). Sometimes you can see them for sale in department stores or discount stores on the High St.

Mazza

Comment

I've never used a condensing unit, but my friend swears by hers and says that it was the best money she ever spent

Tri

Comment

Very clever.

And simple too.

I was imagining an 'air conditioner' type unit.

FF
                      Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

For anyone who's interested:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...productId=60451

Comment

They are stand alones to use with tumble dryers. You plug the vent pipe into the plastic box in which are placed two very large ice blocks (made in your freezer) and it means you can use your tumble dryer without venting out of doors.

They are available in catalogues such as Marshall Ward, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X