This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erecting A New Fence

When our NFH goes on holiday, we'll be replacing our 4 foot fence with a 6 foot fence which will follow exactly the line of the old fence, posts and panels. It'll give us extra privacy from the NFH. Actually I can't think he's that enamoured that we can see right into his conservatory and I think he'll be just as grateful for the higher fence as we will. He doesn't dispute who owns the fence and we've always repaired it without any trouble from him.

Knowing our NFH from past experience, he'll try and put a a spanner in the works over this work by disputing the boundary or something like that if we put something in writing.

I've had a look at the boundary problems site and gardenlaw and it would seem that we would be within our rights just to go ahead and do it but perhaps we should drop in a letter (when he's already left to go on holiday) stating our intentions.

As we have a legal case against him pending where he damaged our property, he could argue that we didn't notify him but then again its only a fence.

When its done we'll take pictures of everything to prove that we haven't damaged anything. Another trick he used to pull.

So what do you think? Shall we..

a) Wait till he goes on holiday and just do it anyway.

b) Wait till he goes on holiday, drop in a letter and then do it anyway.

c) Any other option?
    Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Dear Rockbank.

I would go with option (B), just make out you didn't know he was going on holiday and put a clause in the letter along the lines of 'if you have any problems with the job, please let us know within 24 hours, otherwise we will assume that you approve' . He obviously wouldn't be happy with something as major as total fence removal and may try to delay things just to be awkward towards you. The pictures sound a good idea. I would make sure you have a 'before' and 'after picture .. preferably from a fixed tripod pointing down the fence, so that he can see that the fence is in exactly the same position.

Freakyfun
    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Hmm ... it seems that the webiste wants option b's as (B) .. sigh
      Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

oh go with B

do the didnt know you were away, thought it was ok as you didnt reply to the letter!!

ooo........devoius!!!

Comment

Hi Rockbank - option b's OK, but:

Do your nfh know that you know they're going away? (ooo sorry, it looks a bit garbled that).

If so, then they'll say you deliberately posted it after they'd left for their holiday so that they would have no right to reply/ comment.

However, I think you're right - pop a letter through, build the fence, take your photos and wait to see. Perhaps you could add into the letter the issue about improved privacy for both of you (like I'm sure you would anyway ).

Comment

I also think you should go with option b. Just make totally sure you don't damage even one little plant or he'll kick off again, I'm sure. Good luck

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I'll go with the others and vote for B.

At least when they are away on holiday you will not have any knots in the stomach wondering if they are going to come out and challenge you or just generally try and incite trouble.

About the letter and the legal action - you could just make sure that what you put in writing will not jeopardise your other legal action - from memory it was the broken guttering wasn't it ? Don't think it would, but, it would be worth getting a legal viewpoint on it just to make sure that you are covered.

Comment

Option b it is then.

Yes, we'll take pictures before and after. Thank heaven for digital cameras.

We won't be asking for his approval, we don't need it. Its our fence, we can replace it whenever we want. We'll just be stating that it is being replaced with a 6 foot fence.

The only reason I considered putting something in writing is to continue to close off any possible avenue of attack he may have.
                Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Why not go the whole hog. I am imformed you are allowed to go 2metres down the sides (6 foot 6) and 1 metre (3 foot 3) to the front if there is a road or footpath. I put a six foot fence up the rear of my property and added a further 6 inches of trellis.

I also would do the work while they are away as if it was my neighbour she would be out watching my every move but drop a note in just incase remember to post it then you can always blame the postal system if it arrives too late......lol (laugh out loud).

Comment

If you look on the Garden Law website it says that it is 2 metres, but my HA wouldn't agree to more than 6 foot so I had to go with that :sad: but then that's still better than nothing :hihi:

As for access...the fencer's didn't really need it :lol:

Tri

Comment

Working...
                    X