This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Ties

There was a knock on my door today and there were two workmen there. They said they were putting in new wall ties and a movement joint (at least I think that's what they said - goldfish attention span not good). He said it's because we're part of a terrace and it gives more stability.

Because mine is a private house they said they needed my permission to insert this movement joint between my property and the HA property next door. I put them off and said for them to come back when my husband is home.

What I want to know is; can they go ahead with the work without my permission? If I give my permission and something goes wrong and my property is damaged, will I be covered? They waited until the last minute to ask me. I'm wondering why I wasn't informed a lot earlier that they were going to carry out this work.

Anybody know where I stand on this? Thanks

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Bizarre. Sure they weren't distraction burglars sniffing around?

I would phone the HA for the house next door and ask them what's going on.

Comment

Seems a bit iffy this. They should have written a letter to inform you and surely some contact and communication must ensue before they turn up on your doorstep. Definitely ring the HA.

If it is bone fide, the HA insurance should cover if anything goes wrong. There will be forms to sign before this goes ahead, for insurance purposes, which makes me even more suspicious that two people turn up on your doorstep expecting to do this sort of work then and there. We had it done on another house, it was quite a big job.

Comment

Mhhhmmm, as others have said it's a bit dodgy you weren't informed in writing, after all this kind of thing isn't just minor work is it?

Did they say how long it would take out of interest?

Not sure, but I would have thought that if they undertake the work without your permission and damage anything, even structurally with the walls etc, then they are fully responsible. Trouble is though, is giving them permission to do it disclaiming them from all responsibility if things go wrong?

Also, they are happy with just a verbal agreement? We know you're honest Misty, but how would they prove you gave permission if it came to the crunch?

Let us know what you find out eh

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks

They were genuine, they've been in the area for a while now. But I thought that if they needed my permission then I'd at least have been informed well in advance. They never mentioned anything about me signing anything and I'm a bit reluctant to do so. Hubby will be in work tomorrow so it will be down to me.

I'll phone the HA in the morning and see what they have to say about it all. I just want to know if they will accept liability if anything goes wrong and my insurance co. say it was my fault for giving permission.

Thanks again

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Mistey - ring your insurance company as well, I'd be cautious about this.

Comment

Thanks Spinky, I will I expect I will be seen an awkward b*****d, but better safe than sorry

Misty

Comment

I don't care what they think, it's a darn cheek to just turn up on your doorstep without warning expecting to do any building work - never mind structural work.

Comment

Get it in writing from the HA first, Misty. If it's genuine then it's probably not the workers' faults that you haven't been informed, so don't blame them. Letters could have gone astray, I suppose. You can always say you don't have the authority to make a decision on your own (your house is in joint names with hubby?)

Are you by any chance leasehold rather than freehold? Might make a difference.
                  "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

I contacted my insurance company this morning and they said I should have been provided with a Schedule of Building Cover. Well I've not had anything. So they advised me to refuse permission until I receive said schedule and sent it to them for their perusal. I have notified the HA.

The workmen came back this morning and I said I couldn't give permission. They left before I could explain why and from the offhand way they left I'm assuming the work will not now be carried out. It's possible I've done myself a bad turn, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The HA man just this minute called He said he is going to find out what the work was supposed to be and get onto the people responsible then get back to me. Just have to wait now

Misty_squeaking_loud_and_long

Comment

Working...
                    X