This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Be Burgalars?

Ok I know I joined up and I told you things were peachy......lil old me should of kept her mouth shut!!! Ive got this double act who keep staring in through my window and wait till I go out and have a right good snoop through my windows when they watch that my house is empty......Police have been contacted but they are still at it!! knocking on to check the house is empty, One of them is a neighbour.Ive put new beware of the dog signs up hehe and if I have to will bark just as good as any dog.....would love some good advice on this one please.

first thing....get net curtains!

I know some people dont like them but they do stop people looking in. you can always tie them back if you want to when you are home.

move all pretty things off your window sills, you know posh ornaments etc, its amazing really...when I go to work on the bus I can spotprime houses for pinching from!

you can see right throught he houses, a lot of them have through dinners and lounges, and there are no nets and lots of crystal things on display!

now believe it or not you can get door bells that sound like barking dogs!

my brother has one, it goes dindong woof woofwoof!

makes it sound like there are big dogs guarding the premises!

hope this helps a little.

and please contact your community beat bobby!!

Comment

Ive got nets already, You should see the nose prints on the windows where theyve strained to see in hehe ohhhh and I am so bad cos Yes I also shut the curtains and leave the tv on......Like the sound of the doorbell though. Love to know where to get one if you know cos I havent heard of that one and it sounds good.

Comment

Hi Cherrycola

From what you say these guys only do this when they actually see you have gone out. Nosey but not brave! I would be surprised if you are the only one affected. Neighbourhood watch is ideal for this type of thing. Contact your local community police officer for help in joining or setting one up. If others know of your problems they can keep an eye out for you and inform the police when it is happening. Putting the stickers they supply on the windows may itself be enough.

Other tactic is to get someone or preferably some good friends to house sit for you some of the evenings when you go out. Get your friend/s in a DVD to watch for the evening or something. If your NFH are watching you that closely, they will soon realise that because you’re out, it doesn’t necessarily mean the house is empty. It follows that on nights you don’t have a house sitter, leave the tele/radio on and put some random timers on the lights in the upstairs of the house or in the bathroom of your house. (don’t put them downstairs because it makes it even easier to see in) – Before anyone asks, no I am not suggesting setting up a confrontation, but imagine the two of them knocking on the door when they think your out, to actually have it answered by several of your mates. “Avon calling!” I think not!

Best regards

Comment

I asked my brother and sister in law about the doorbell.

they think they got theirs in focus DIY about 6 quid.

it makes lots of chimes including the dog barking.

hope thats useful to you!

Comment

I'd ask the beat bobby or crime prevention officer to come round as you've noticed hand prints on the windows and are concerned - no need to say its the neighbours

If they're as nosy as you say, when the bobby comes around to advise (not a complaint), they'll see this and it might be a warning shot across their bows.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gordytjg@Jun 6 2003, 9:24 AM

I'd ask the beat bobby or crime prevention officer to come round as you've noticed hand prints on the windows and are concerned - no need to say its the neighbours

If they're as nosy as you say, when the bobby comes around to advise (not a complaint), they'll see this and it might be a warning shot across their bows.

G
              Bit drastic, but how about some gorse pplanted right under the windows. Needs keeping in check, but smells so wonderful, its worth the prickles. It probably wouldnt stop them, but you may have the satisfaction of knowing how scratched they will be after! We lived by a gorse heath, and NOTHING keeps gorse scratches out!

Dummy cctv cameras are about £12 each from places like Wilkinsons. They even have a flashing red light on top, and do look the biz. ADT alarm systems are fantastic, and cost approx the same as half a pint of bitter per day to run - I wish I could have it, but not totally suitable for houses with large dogs wandering free.

There is also an anti intruder paint which goes on the top of fences etc. It is available via screwfix direct and comes with the mandatory warning signs, and the legal height requirements etc.

Hang on - Why havent I got any of that stuff! The paint would solve a lot of my probs!

Im sure you cant be the only neighbour having this problem - is there another neighbour who you could swap house wtaching stints with. If you could call the police for each other, maybe they would realise its not a safe bet, yet wontbe able to connect the call with you as you wont be in?

I do love the idea about door knocking being greeted with a bunch of hairy mates!

All the best

Jane

Comment

Blimey,im a bit late with this posting, its now 24th june 03.

What you need is one of those fake cctv cameras sitting in your front window on

the window sill complete with a nice flashing little light (red).

That should put them off.

Comment

Working...
                X