This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right To Light?

My neighbour today put two large containers up against my rear fence. One is about 11 feet high, the other about 15. They obscure my view completely, (which I know I'm not entitled to) and take all the light from my next door neighbour's 'habitable' ground floor room (in this case a registered office). I tried reasoning with him, but that didn't work, and even offered to pay for it to be moved to the other end of his 'yard'.

He has no business planning right to the land, and is using the containers for storing tat that he sells at boot fairs etc.

Is there anything I/ my other neighbour can do?

You can see the photos at pi*ey filth

Hope the Moddy's don't mind - I set up a Yahoo group for this topic (Neighbours from Hell), I'll remove it straight away if you want.

He has no business planning right to the land, and is using the containers for storing tat that he sells at boot fairs etc.

On the basis that he has no planning permission to run a business I would speak with your local Planning Department at your Council Offices.

They can issue him with an enforcement notice to discontinue running a business.

Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc251@Aug 18 2003, 9:42 PM

Hope the Moddy's don't mind - I set up a Yahoo group for this topic (Neighbours from Hell), I'll remove it straight away if you want.
      welcome to you Dcc

light is a funny old subject!

I looked at your photo and its very unsightly :angry:

thanks for posting your link, we dont mind at all! (just wondering about the title for it though! )

I hope we can offer you loads of advice and support.

Comment

There are already two enforcement notices on the property, for running a garage - one which stated that the buildings had to be demolished and the land returned to its 'original use' - these were in 1979 (and still in force); he moved here 4 years ago. I don't think these were enforced, as there's still a building there (which isn't on the title deeds).

He's going to say he's just storing stuff though - and he says he has planning permission for storing trucks, lorries and ice cream vans (!!!??). I've been told I can find out about the planning history for the property - is this true? Do I still have a case?, My instinct is to get really nasty as I have a real problem tolerating these kind of people, but I'm trying hard to be calm.

Okay -I'll change the name of the N from hell Yahoo group, give me 5 minutes.

Dom

Comment

Hi dcc251,

Don't get nasty here, mate, get even.

He cannot run a business from his home without premise. It would be worth giving the local authorities a bell and check it out. If he as got planning permission they will have copy of this.

I know from getting planning permission myself that all your neighbours have to be informed of your plans and given the chance to object. This guy is trying to put the wool over your eyes and fob you off.

The is an excellent site that specializes in these types of issues. I have put the link below. They have an open forum and will be able to advise more specifically than I could.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

That care Kevin

Comment

There are already two enforcement notices on the property, for running a garage - one which stated that the buildings had to be demolished and the land returned to its 'original use' - these were in 1979 (and still in force); he moved here 4 years ago. I don't think these were enforced, as there's still a building there (which isn't on the title deeds).

Go back to the council and inform them what has been going on and get them to enforce the notices. It is your basis right.

If the notices are still valid and current then there should be no problem with the council getting it solved for you.

You need to get pro-active with the council and keep on their backs to ensure that they carry out their obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc251@Aug 18 2003, 10:51 PM

Okay¬* -I'll change the name of the N from hell Yahoo group, give me 5 minutes.

ohh no thats not what I meant!!

I meant the Pi*ey reference!!

Comment

Update time - he's agreed to move the largest container (the red one) to the other end of his yard. This is good news except that:

a. I have to pay for the guy to move it - 150 quid. :angry:

b. It's going to end up oscuring my neighbour's view instead now. (From 30 metres further away and partly obstructed by trees, but still. . . ) :angry:

So - I happen to get on well with my other neighbours (because I'm obviously unusual) and I don't want to ruin his life.

Why can't I just beat the living c$%p out of this guy and put 145 quid towards flowers for his hospital room, then spend the other 5 quid on petrol and matches?

I defy any of you to find a more reasonable course of action.

The council came round today - but he wouldn't let them in - they've taken photos etc and are trying to work out if there's been a change of use, in which case he'd have to apply for planning permission again.

What now ?!?!

:banghead:

Comment

I do hope you are joking!

we take things very seriously here, and members want NFHiB to be taken seriously by the goverment, comments like that dont really help.

you have contacted the council and you now should leave it with them, do not pay the man to move the containers, its not for you to do that.

and is it fair that the other neighbour would then have to suffer?

I know its frustrating to have to look at that, but it seems a selfish attitude to force another person to endure the same, the problem is then being moved, not solved.

you need to think of your actions before doing them, is by moving the container going to fuel an arguement between you and the other neighbour?

Please can you change the link about Pi*ey filth, it has been found offensive.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X