This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalker/dog Danger

In 1996 we moved into a semi in what is now an expensive area. The solicitor we bought the house from had been less than forthcoming ,ie he lied, about the condition of the house. It looked like something from 'the House Doctor' when we moved in but fell apart-literally within hours of us moving in. The list of disasyers is endless , but as a single parent I can't afford either to mend the place or move. I mention this as this meay have been the start of one area of trouble.

About two years ago the kitchen went oin fire-part of the solicitor's cover up job- faulty wiring.The neigjhbours came out to watch and then all went home. The only offer of help was from the old lady next door who offered to do some shopping. She is absolutely wonderful but I've noticed that she only gets help from us although she's lived in the house for nearlt eighty years.

Anyway the other next door is totally silent. For about two years we had several incidents-petrol lines on the car cut three times, calls to the council about the dog and 'huge rats' that purportedly had 'escaped' from here-my daughter had small pet rats. The council dismissed all the complaints. The man watched the kids in the garden and it culminated in him appearing at the window when I had gone out to walk the dog. i reported it to the police and the local constable had 'a word'. After this-to my relief- the man put up a huge fence-without permission and way over planning height- but I was relieved. There was a gap which he had left and when I tried to blobk it he would dismantle it and leave the remains neatly folded outside our front door. It culminated in a shouting match where I mentioned the stalking and there's ben no trouble since.

There is therefore a history from me of 'neighbour troubles'. A few weeks back a husky- which has frequently run away from walks and its chain- came into our garden twice to kill. It tore open the ferrets' hutch dragged them from their sleeping compartment and killed them. It killed the older female the first time and her companion the second time. This second time it growled and snapped at the

kids. Its owner-a local magistrate- said the dog 'hadn't escaped' 'all dogs growl and snap over prey' The other night it was collarless and off the lead outside the house again-eith her. I was appalled and said so. She took the dog in the house and came out screaming that she was going to report the ferrets to the police for trespass - they're both dead and were fast asleep in their hutches when they were killed. I have been urged by the vet, a behaviourist, the police and the dog warden to make a written complaint because of the dog's behaviour combined with the owner's attitude.

What do I do ? Last night I came home and the stalker and the psycho dog were outside the house- I drove past and hid around the corner and got the kids to ring me and tell me when the coast was clear. I should add that far from being apologetic the dog in question is now brought outside our house to relieve itself.

The police suggested that I bring action for criminal damage-it cost us about £200 in total but I know that this will just allow her to trivialise the whole thing and 'buy ' it off.

I think I should write the letter - any advice? Living on this road is a nightmare

Hi Eira,

Welcome to NFH.

Your story sounds awful - especially about the dog.

I'm not sure on the legal side, but it sounds like as well as paying you compensation, the dog needs to be destroyed too, especially as it has shown aggression towards your children.

If the dog is outside on its own, I wonder if it is legal to dissuade it from entering your garden with a 'sonic repeller' or even a water pistol to scare it away?

With regards to the fence, I've read many stories on nfh in the past few days dealing with boundary disputes.

this-to my relief- the man put up a huge fence-without permission and way over planning height- but I was relieved.

Perhaps say to him that he either seals up the gap, or you report him to the council and he has to take the whole thing down?

I'm sure more experienced people will add further advice, don't give up hope.

FF
    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Just had another thought, if you feel that this person is stalking you, record all instances of what happens, pictures, video, tape etc ..

The protection from harrassment act '97 is specifically designed to deal with stalkers, and all it takes is two instances for it to be an arrestable offence (theoretically .. hopefully the police in your area are less layed back than mine)

1. - (1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct-

( a)Â* which amounts to harassment of another, and

( b ) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

( 2 ) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

full link at: http://www.nfh.org.uk/law/protection_from_..._1997/index.php

you may want to look at the dogs act too: http://www.nfh.org.uk/law/dogs_act_1996/index.php

FF
      Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

hiya! blimey there is no end to bonkers neighbours is there?

in short - get cctv - front and back...cheaper and more permanent solution than legal action. secure your garden as much as possible.

see if old mrs next door minds if u put a camera on her side as well to capture wider angle ( might make her feel more secure??)

i believe there is a product which deters cats from gardens (some spray ) not harmful nor injurous but a smell they detest... as dogs noses are quite sensitive it might work ?? spray it liberally on the outside your gate and wall (your property)... dogs generally sniff before they do the business - won't be long before it looses its enthusiam???

check out the dangerous dogs act, it might cover u?

also if this woman is harassing u she is definately not fit to serve as a magistrate, see who u can make a complaint to. if her behaviour threatens her income, she will surely see sense?

Comment

Hi eira and welcome to the Forum

Sounds like you're having to cope with a lot in your neighbourhood, which I'm sorry to hear about. Hopefully you will be able to get some advice and support to help you deal with the problems you've got.

Can you just clear something up for me? I understand you've got a neighbour who built the fence and has been looking into your window (so you have that neighbour from hell - nfh) but, this woman with the dog, does she live with that neighbour? Or does she live somewhere else?

Is there any reason (that you can think of) why your neighbour would leave a gap in the fence? I know that nfh are all very bizarre, but it's strange that they should leave a gap and remove material that you've put up to block the space. Is there by any chance something in the deeds to say that your nfh has a right of access at that point?

Regarding this man peering into your window - I can imagine this is a horrible thing to happen. Any chance of recording him (video camera/ CCTV) doing it? I would then take the evidence to the Police and like freaky says, speak to them about the Protection from Harassment Act. Also, maybe think about net curtains .

This woman with the dog clearly has no regard for anyone. Letting her dog off the lead, murdering your ferrets and allowing it to use your garden as a toilet. And then she tries to turn the tables and blame you somehow (don't worry, that is typical nfh behaviour - seen so many times on this Forum).

The first thing that you must start doing straight away is to write everything down and gathering evidence, there's a blank sheet for you to print off and use:

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/docs/Recor...m_Nuisances.doc

Hopefully other members will be along soon to give you some advice.

Comment

Hi Eira and welcome to the forum,

I can only echo the advice already given by other members. You have found yourself in a horrible situation.

I agree with onthemove, this woman is a magistrate and is acting like a thug. If the police have advised you to make a statement with a view to prosecuting her for criminal damage then I would urge you to take their advice. We have lots of members who complain that the police do little or nothing to help so in a way you're luckier than most as the police seem to be on your side.

You shouldn't have to hide away because of your NFH and this woman and her, obviously, out of control dog. The law states that a dog should be under control at all times and this one isn't.

Good luck, I hope things get better for you. If ever you need to rant, or talk over your problems, you can come back anytime, you'll find a lot of support and advice here. Take care.

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi eira,

The Husky is a formidable dog!

I had a quick look for you at the Dangerous Dogs Act. This section refers to an owner's responsibility for keeping a dog under control:

3.—(1) If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place—

(a) the owner; and

(b) if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,

is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.

(2) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) above against a person who is the owner of a dog but was not at the material time in charge of it, it shall be a defence for the accused to prove that the dog was at the material time in the charge of a person whom he reasonably believed to be a fit and proper person to be in charge of it.

(3) If the owner or, if different, the person for the time being in charge of a dog allows it to enter a place which is not a public place but where it is not permitted to be and while it is there—

(a) it injures any person; or

(b) there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will do so,

he is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection. (4) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (3) above other than an aggravated offence is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both; and a person guilty of an aggravated offence under either of those subsections is liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or a fine or both.
              'The only kind of courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one minute to the next.' - Mignon McLaughlin

Comment

Hi Eira

And welcome(although very sorry about the awful circunstances that have led you here!).

I was also going to suggest a look at the Dangerous Dogs Act.....does the dog warden have no powers here, especially as this dog seems to be on the loose at times? Maybe worth asking that department what powers they do Have?

Regards

Sapph

Comment

Thank you for the advice and for listening. the stalker problem is sort of over -thanks to the local community constable. He checked the police files and then went and 'had a word'. The fence was put up without permission and it is too high-but I am so relieved,The gap is where the hedge meets the bush. I put a trellis there which kept 'falling over' , so put the trellis and a large bush in a pot there. The fence is hideous but I got some plants and the ivy is 'accidentally' covering it. The stalker now spends most of his time in his holiday cottage and only appears a few times a week. the relief is indescribable.

I mentioned the stalker as I am wary of getting a neighbourhood name for causing trouble. Because of the layout of the gardens no one else could see what he was doing and it does make you sound potty. I think I will send the letter-registered post. It is going to cause trouble but she's hardly gone underground and it would set the situation straight. The dog warden said I should log the incident and the police said that a letter opens two police files- a computerised one for verbal reports and a paper one for correspondence. there have been other verbal complaints about the dog.

The woman was also chairman of our local community group and the group was trying to protect an old hedge and small wood at the bottom of our gardens from developers. She cheerfully cut a huge gap in this several hundred year old hedge and threw the debris from her new landscaped garden into the wood.The landscaping did not include fencing for the dog.

Thanks so much for listening and for the good advice,

Comment

Working...
                  X