This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curry Fans

moan, moan, moan, is it okay to moan about neighbours who literrally love to eat curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner? it stinks, and the pungent smell means on summer days i am forced to close doors and windows. I am never able to have a long stint in the garden because as soon as they cook the extractor which is in the wall between our two properties sends a huge waft of curry directly into my garden. sounds nuts that i can moan about this, but after 2 years of smelling curry everyday .......well this is my 10pence worth. Not a real neighbour from hell, but more like ....

Welcome to the forum Ninja

If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem, that's what we always say.

I don't think this is the case, but are your neighbours running a business? I don't think so though from your post. Tricky one - as you may be seen to make it a 'cultural' issue if you approach them about it? (Have you spoken to your neighbour about it?) Could they move the extractor fan exit point, is this possible?

The Env Protection Act of 1990 may be able to help you, bit extreme going into legislation at this stage, but good to be aware of your possibilities/rights, quote:

A statutory nuisance may comprise:

d) any dust, steam, smell or other effluvia arising on industrial, trade or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance;

Hope that helps a little - maybe you could have an informal word with your Local Authority Env Health Dept to ask for advice too if not done already.

Come back often

Comment

I luurrve the smell of curry and it would not bother me living next door to someone who cooked that kind of food...i would probably 'curry favour' with them so theyd give me some!!!har har

but it would be my husband s idea of a nightmare, he cannot stand curry!!!

:blink:

this is really tough on you, if it is an asian family living next door to you i cant see what you can do, at the end of the day they are living their lives. they might not like the smell of your cooking, you see...and they have to eat, so i am not sure how you could stop them cooking....

the extractor fan they have might be making matters worse as it tends to concentrate the whiff, so maybe if they could just open their doors and windows instead????? i dont know how well you get on with them, are they approachable.....?
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi Ninja and welcome to the Forum

I think this is a tricky one. I'm afraid I don't think there's going to be much you can do about this at all.

Perhaps speak to the neighbours about it, but at the end of the day, it is the wind wafting the curry aroma into your garden too.

I can fully appreciate that after two years you may have had enough of the smell of their cooking. I suppose the issue for you may be that it is the same sort of smell everyday. I know that sometimes we get a waft of frying from outside and it can ve a bit nauseating. I dare say that your neighbours may not like the smell of my bacon butties/ fried onions/ garlic etc.

Maybe the best way forward would be to try and have a friendly chat to your neighbours, do you think there's any possibility of that?

Comment

In the 2years of my suffering (and I used to like curry), I have probably thought of everything. And other than asking them to change their diet or buying them a Naked Chef Cookbook there is nothing I can do.

Things have got worst recently because they've decided to make use of the sunshine - go into overdrive and make as many chapatis (at least that is what I think it is - they look like pancakes and they are left out to dry on carpets in the garden) as humanly possible.

Things really 'got up my nose' when I had my daughter's birthday party. Picture the scene..... sunny day, hired a bouncey castle, food all out on tables, children and parents arrive, then .... the *pong* arrives. Pretty embarassing with a load of screaming kids running around holding their noses. (rightly too because it was 'pooey').

It has come to the point where it irritates me soooo much that I actually believe I am smelling the stuff literally anywhere. I suffer nasal illusions. Mad I know.

The ultimate answer is to move. Its unlikely they will move as their nasal senses have probably already paid the ultimate price. I can't move because of money.

I won't go mad, I will just try and get a little even. I am seriously thinking of buying the tallest stone bbq with a chimney that will stand over the fence. h34r:

Comment

ooh ninja, not nice!!!!

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

I'll lend you my bbq...it is the smokiest that I have ever owned :lol: :lol:

Comment

Hi ninja

Do you own your home or rent? What about your neighbours?

Comment

Apparently, what i wrote about a tall "BBQ" and "pork" can be interpreted as being racist. This is not what is intended. I am merely trying to highlight the difficulties I am faced with in a light hearted way.

OK, perhaps the "BBQ" and "pork" is not politically correct, but I am not trying to hide behind political correctness to bring my point over.

If I'd have said "parade around the garden in my wife's clothes everyday", somebody would have said "homophobic", If I'd have said "get my wife to wash and hang my pants in the window facing their garden" somebody would have said "sexist" and so on....

I have been extremely irritated by intoxicating cooking fumes, upto 3 times a day at weekends. My neighbours don't understand that their eating habit is, for want of a better word polluting my home. And my opinion is/was "how would they like it?".

Before anyone starts calling anybody racist people shouldn't automatically make assumptions about my own ethnic origin.

This has nothing to do with their race. I thought it a fair opinion to express. h34r:

Comment

Hello Ninja - I'm sure you didn't intend to suggest any racial motivation or ill-feeling within your post, but I'm sure you also understand we sometimes have to look at all the *potential* outcomes that different posts can sometimes generate. From experience we are very aware that sometimes even posts made with absolutely no ill-intent sometimes are interpreted badly. We have a duty to listen to everyone's opinions about things like this, including yours too.

We have a large readership and several forums that are publicly accessible (inc this one) - so it's in all our interests to consider that when communicating emotive issues such as NFH ones, they can sometimes be interpreted negatively and perhaps in the original posters possible worst interests (in this case, you).

No one has made any assumptions about your ethnic origin or cultural background as far as I can see and you were contacted by a moderator as a courtesy and with due respect to yourself

So, please feel free to express your opinion always, but all we ask is that you consider the possible mixed feelings that your posts may cause to other members. We all have to be aware of that, including me.

No one would 'like' your situation I'm sure, and I can understand how frustrating it must be, but we're on your side to help where we can. All NFH situations are not liked or wanted by anyone.

Humour is a great way to communicate things and often relieves a lot of stress I agree

Hope you come back often

Comment

Thanks for the advice. However, I doubt there is anything the council can do. My neighbours are not breaking the law by cooking. Unless my neighbours are operating a business from their home - they are not breaking any laws. Afterall, this is domestic cooking we are talking about. If i were to take them to court i would be in a losing battle because if i were to win - i would be setting precedence in law to any neighbour who dislikes the waft of their neighbours cooking to put some sort of restraining order on their cooking. Therefore, the chances of winning would rival winning the lottery. However, constructing one of these beauties http://www.langhalegardens.co.uk/shop/bbq.htm is so much more likely. h34r:

Comment

Hi,

Personally, I don't see anything racist about barbequing pork or any other meat.

Where I live people barbeque all the time. In fact one neighbour barbeques

so frequently I sometimes have to keep the door shut because I don't eat

meat (red meat) nor do I cook it and I find the smell of burning/barbequing

red meat offensive (it stinks). That is just me. I would love to retaliate by

burning or boiling cabbage for hours but with my luck the wind would blow

the smell back my way. I like curried vegetables etc but I wouldn't want to smell

curries or anything really all the time. Maybe the only exception I could

make would be living near a bread bakery. I love the smell of a real bread

bakery but perhaps even that might be tiresome after a while.

Melanie

Comment

but......

Unless I wrote something like "charity fund raising garden parties in aid of BBQs for asylum seekers" - I don't recall writing anything about immigrants or asylum

seekers.

h34r:

Comment

ninja try not to get too worried about this, a lot of us say stuff here and get taken to task over it (i have been!!!!). i feel personally, that it is because we come here in such a state, very upset and down, full of negativity that we just splurge it all out. i dont blame you at all for feeling the way you do.

i hope this doesnt put you off posting messages, just bear in mind this is a public forum and as it grows in importance, it may in future become a powerful force in getting changes to legislation etc, to help us live our lives in peace. so obviously we cannot go round posting inflammatory comments.

also some people have a lower tolerance level of certain expressions or words so best to err on the side of caution.

i hope the wind blows in the right direction for you!!!!

:nfh1: :nfh1:

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

Where on earth do asylum seekers come into it???!!!

Sapph

Comment

Working...
                              X