X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any of you offer counselling

This really is a black day!!

After much pressure from the lovely HF2 ive finally given in!!

...............my motorbike is up for sale!!!...................

cant think of a good enough reason to keep it!!

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Come on Horsefans, pull yourself together, man.

If you sell that bike you'll have no one to blame but yourself, and no way of beating traffic jams. Think about it ....... no bike. !!!

That sensation powering out of a bend on a sunny evening. Personally, the way my life is now, kids at and pre - school mean the bike has limited use; I wouldn't sell mine.

Each to their own though. If a future of motorcycle deprivation is for you...

Your choice.

Comment

Why do you need to have a reason HF?!!

I can see the black mushroom cloud that has formed above your head all the way from Yorkshire!

Good reason to keep it?

Ummm, so you can eat pot noodles on the back of it, whilst travelling at speed?

(You dirty, dirty, pot noodler!)

Comment

The best reason I can think of for you to keep it is..........................................

IT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!

Well I didn't say it was a GOOD ENOUGH reason

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

HF My sincere condolences to you and motorbike.

I love motorbikes and I can sum up in one word exactly why I do - FREEDOM

I do the pillion thing as I can't get the hang of the gears but Shaggy (my partner) well he loves his Ducatti. I think if I ever announced to him that it was me or the bike - be under no illusions whatsoever it would be me that had to go.

So my heart goes out to you HF. Speak with HF2 and get her to read my posting here - we are actually the same age HF, 34 years this year so there is no age gap quibble. Just gentle reminders to her that the unadulterated joy of riding down the road without the agro of getting in traffic jams is just sheer heaven.

In fact it's about the nearest thing I will get to owning an Aston Martin Vantage for pleasure !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

sorryHF1

I am with number 2 on this one!!

Noisey dangerous machines!

you are so vunerable if you get hit or come off, I remember an advert for transport saftey once that should a lorry reading long vehicle and then a biker wearing a day glow reading "soft vehicle"

soft and squidgy and very breakable.

bikers often travel at ridiculous speeds putting others as well at risk (not saying you are one of these though!)

walk or get the bus HF!!!!!

Comment

Would you believe - our other NFH are the bikers.

I too loved motorbikes, it really is in the past tense now, but I did at one time adore riding pillion on ex boyfriends bike, which was a Honda 750. even bought myself a little 250 myself at one point (never progressed!) Nothing better, the feeling, the freedom as others have mentioned, it gives you the sheer feeling of being alive and vital. However...

Our house, although out in the sticks is right next to an A road, and every Sunday, most Saturdays and Wednesday nights, excepting a short winter break, we are woken by two bikes, and throghout the whole of Sunday there is a constant stream of them past our house. Some are way, way, WAY over the speed limit and many are illegally tuned up to get the maximum noise potential out of them.

Hardly a weekend goes by without a biker being killed in our area, two weeks ago two bikers died in the same accident. Yesterday a biker was killed in our part of the country. On masse these bikers are a b****y nuisance. I watch from my window as they regularly overtake five vehicles at a time on a BLIND BEND. They bully other drivers, weave in and out of traffic causing other drivers to brake to avoid them - I've seen these bikers do things that are unbelievable.

The police have had numerous 'campaigns' to try and stop the carnage and the havoc they cause. It has no effect whatsoever. They, like typical NHF, carry on and do what the hell they like.

The police in a neighboring county said two weeks ago when yet another crash happened, that they would put up with it no more, that it was "total mayhem and madness endangering other road users and themselves". but the whole of these three counties is blighted by them. A pub in a town twenty minutes from us is a bikers meeting place, you can see about 2000 bikes all around the place there sometimes. Yes, that is three noughts not two!They do wheelies on the roads around the pub - roads being used by other vehicles I might add and the local people are always calling the police out. It's one place we definitely won't be moving to.

It's been talked about on our local radio, a senior police officer was interviewed about it and asked how the problem was being tackled, he said the speeding bikers "should desist" as measures were being taken to stop them, well five months later we're still waiting for these measures, or any measures at all.

Bikers are fine - but en masse storming through the countryside, I loathe them.

Comment

Incredible. In the short time since I posted that message, I've just heard on our local radio another biker has died "in collision with a car" and another biker seriously injured "in a seperate incident".

Comment

I can agree with you Spinks on the mass invasion of bikers at pubs. We had a similar venue in Warwickshire with a place called The Watermans and it must have been totally awful for the residents of that small village. The Police put in road blocks and diverted traffic around the pub and eventually they told the landlord that unless he ceased they would revoke his licensing application next time it was up for renewal. It did end it of course - for a while.

Now the bikers tend to go up to Matlock in Derbyshire on Sunday mornings. I gather that it is just a meeting place and by all accounts no trouble has been caused while it has been used as a venue, however, as you quite rightly say, it's not just the places where they meet up, it's what they do en-route to these towns and villages that causes the most trouble.

My fiance is fairly good on his bike - especially when I'm on the back and he doesn't like it getting too dirty either, he likes to keep it clean and tidy sometimes I wonder if it should be displayed for ornamental use only. But, you only have to open the throttle on full thrust just once too often and you are taking your life into your own hands.

Comment

I did notice on some of our trips to the Peak District an over abundance of the biking fraternity. We went to Matlock one Sunday and I couldn't believe the number of bikes there. I've noticed them a lot more when we go over to Snowdonia as well. Some of them ride like idiots!!

But I think we're making Horsefans feel like a BFH which I'm sure he isn't Anyway Scotland isn't as populated as England so I'm sure it's different up there.

Misty (who has only been on a bike once as a pillion passenger and was terrified )
                    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I'm not against bikers - but I do really detest bikers en masse, at speeds well over the speed limit, that tune up their machines for maximum noise and that bully other drivers.

Saying all of the above, our farmer neighbour offered me a ride on the back of his motorbike on his land - was tempted but boyfriend wasn't amused to say the least, so didn't take up the offer - innocent though it was!!!!

Comment

I'm not against bikers - but I do really detest bikers en masse, at speeds well over the speed limit, that tune up their machines for maximum noise and that bully other drivers.

Saying all of the above, our farmer neighbour offered me a ride on the back of his motorbike on his land - was tempted but boyfriend wasn't amused to say the least, so didn't take up the offer - innocent though it was!!!!

April - know Matlock very well - it used to be quite a spooky place, lots of bumps in the night - you know the sort of thing! No really, it did have quite a reputation as having quite a few old buildings where strange things happened.

Scooby, yeah I think most of those bikers must have decamped up here! It's a shame about Matlock, as that used to be one of those places 'lost in time'. Sad to think the bikers have moved in there too.

Oh - and it was the police in Snowdonia that said they would not have another weekend of madness and mayhem. There was a big meet there about three weeks ago.

I don't get it. I used to love being on the back of the bike, god that feeling, you can't describe it. We used to bike to a town or to a coastal town, park up, have a mosey around, eat, whatever, and bike back at night.

I particularly used to love biking back to London in the dark when the streets were emptying, ah! Memories! But - ON OUR OWN!!!!

I don't get this; "lets do it all together" bit, I really don't. It's like ramblers, if you want to go for a hike in the country and have a bit of solitude, peace and quiet, and just be lost in your own thoughts - WHY DO IT IN A BIG GROUP!!!! You might as well be in the local park!

Of course I'm still waiting to come across the naked rambling group, they're based somewhere in Yorkshire I think. I so want to be on our paddock when they go by!

Anyway back to the plot and Horsefans plight. I say, if you're not one of those who bikes in a massive group, has tuned up hs machine that is so loud it's a moving menace, doing speeds that are just crazy, then keep it!

Me? I'll stay clear of Matlock, Snowdonia, village twenty miles away, etc etc etc!

A glad it's Monday Spinks

.....Well that's all very strange, part of my message is on the boards and I didn't even send it.

Comment

I'm still waiting to come across the naked rambling group, they're based somewhere in Yorkshire[/b]

Yes, I've seen those. They actually arrive at their meeting point on bikes! Naked! Can you believe it? It can be absolutely freezing here in Yorkshire...

HF keep the bike. If you enjoy it, keep it. I've never been on a bike, but imagine it's great fun and brings a huge amount of freedom. KEEP THE BIKE

Comment

Holly! You've seen them!!!!!! I take it they arrive on pushbikes not motorbikes, oh no, no - no they can't arrive on pushbikes - that would be well... painfull and uncomfortable! Perhaps they get undressed when they hit the trail.

My mind is boggling.

Comment

a big thanks for all your messages!!

Glad to hear that there are so many of you on the site who are bike minded!!

The weather is great just now and yes the feeling of banking into a corner with the throttle open is fantastic!!

Sorry Beth, the only danger to a biker on the road generally is myopic car drivers who cant use their mirrors and dont see more than 10 feet out of their windscreen!

Spinky , It must be really annoying for you. Although being a biker im sure that if it were my neighbourhood then I would be the same as you!!

cheers

HF

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Working...
                              X