This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just need to moan

I'm really fed up!! My computer has been with the engineers for nearly two weeks, and today it was brought back to me. It's obvious that they didn't take much care of it because there are a few gouge marks on it!!

I plugged it all in and switched it on. You've guessed, haven't you? Yes, it didn't work! Well it booted up but the mouse wouldn't work and I tried to use the keyboard to navigate - zilch, nada, zero! So I phoned up the helpline and a nice young man gave me some advice, which got the mouse working but nothing else! He was going to talk me through re-installing windows, but unfortunately they hadn't returned my recovery disk with the computer!

Later the nice young man phoned me back and said the engineers said I hadn't given them my disk. I know I did so he gave me the engineers number but he wasn't there. Eventually a young lady called me to say my disk would be in the post tonight.

So when I get it I have to phone up the nice young man again and he'll talk me through re-installing windows. I was told they'd put a new fan in but I can see the old one is still there complete with dust.

What is really getting to me is that we spent hundreds on an insurance policy and yet we still have to pay goodness knows how much in telephone charges to get anything done! I've got a feeling my puter will never be the same again *sigh* It's just lucky my son is so generous and allows me to use his.

Ok, now everybody who has read this is really, really bored now. So I will offer up an apology. I just needed to get it off my chest. Thank you

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Hi MED

Sending your computer some get well wishes so that it's ready for its operation tomorrow

Comment

How annoying Misty!

So you've got an insurance policy covering maintenance items etc? Can you say who it's with? (e.g. is it one of the big and frankly I think hopeless and overpriced chains like PC World, Time, etc).

Sometimes these insurance policies are so expensive though, it's cheaper to replace and upgrade yourself. The last PC we got was built for us to spec and got exactly what we wanted and for much less of a price than these big retailers would charge. Anyway, I digress, but wasn't there something on Watchdog ages ago about PC support helplines and the poor service? BBC Watchdog They may even be interested to hear of your story?

What was wrong with the mouse, not connected or installed (e.g. drivers) properly? I would also flip the back off (mind any static etc) and carefully have a look inside to see what's been replaced, etc. It always annoys me people getting hassle/over-charged for simple items like fans, adding extra RAM, a 2nd/3rd hard drive, internal modem, card, etc etc when it's so easily done yourself - you could go book yourself on to one of those PC building/maintenance night classes?

Were they supposed to re-install Windows again then? What's the cover for, hardware or software (or both)?

Get well soon, Misty's PC!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger@Mar 24 2003, 3:22 PM

I'm off to get my ZX81 out of the attic!
        Wayyy heeyy!

ZX81 - Oh, what happy memories of endless programming text lines (3/4 hours work) on that fantastic keyboard and then producing a card game!

Only then, not having the capability to save it and lose all the work!

A serious collectors item that Badger!

Comment

You've all completely lost me on this topic!

I have my home computer,which to date has never had any faults - and my trusty Sega Mega Drive - hours of fun playing Dungeons and Dragons (particularly in the early hours - volume low, of course!)

Comment

my rubber keyed sinclair 16k is still in my my mums loft, I am hoping in 50 years it will be worth somrthing!!

you never know.

used to take 30 mins to load some games by casstte tape and we thought they were great, show a child from this day and age and they would turn their little noses up!!

these days everything is quicker and better.

Misty I hope you get results soon with your PC!

Comment

Hi Misty, Hi Gang,

Mr retailer here could have told you not to bother with these extended warranties/insurances etc - they are not worth the paper they are written on. Their primary function is cash generation because the margins are so low on electrical goods.

There really is nothing worse than poor service it really gets my wick!! I would kick up a stink if I were you misty.

SPeaking of old computers I still have my old ACORN ELECTRON complete with cassette loading unit and it still works and I can still program it ( albeit to do very basic tasks!) - funny to think that my sons Gameboy Advance has a more powerful processor than that old thing but along with the Commodore 64/ Sinclair spectrum etc these really were the pioneers of home computing!.

How many of you can remember the awe and astonishment you felt at the fact you had a real live computer in your house!- when the only time you saw a computer was on "the 6 million dollar man"! complete with double twirly cassette reels........

oh to be young again

love to you all##

HF's

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Hi Misty,

You know Horsefans is right these warranties are just extra cash generators and more often than not they generate more cash than selling the actual product itself.

There has been a big enquiry by the Office of Fair Trading and they have concluded that they are not worth the paper they are written on as HF has already pointed out.

Dixons, which owns Currys, PC World and The Link have come in for the worst of the criticisim.

Anyway these helpline number can cost up to £1.00 per minute so watch out for this one.

Sorry your compo is feeling sickie hope it feels better soon. Give it some of your TLC, Misty and it should be right as rain once again.

Comment

By the way Misty

You said it needed a new fan

was it by any chance

a Horse.....Fan!!!

Oh dear, I dont think my career as a stand up comic will last too long!!

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

please remind me why we missed HFs!!!

it certainly wasnt for their humour!!

Comment

Sue,

What a shame about Gateway, I hadn't realised they'd stopped supplying the UK now. I bought a custom-made PC from them in 1997, it was great, no worries at all. Great service, delivered without a mark on it and all the way from Ireland too

Comment

Wow! I can't believe all the replies to my boring post Thanks gang

Badger, the engineer said he was going to replace the main board and put in a bigger fan, so now I've read your post I'm assuming it was a fan somewhere inside. He did say it would work faster, but see above

Matthew, the mouse works in that the cursor moves around the screen but the clicky bit doesn't seem to work. I'd installed a new mouse but now it doesn't seem to recognise it so I used the keyboard to do the clicky bits. It's possible the old mouse it kaput.

Yes, I know about these extended warranties now, but I didn't, or hubby didn't when he bought the thing It's one of those comet 5 star things.

You know when I started work (a looooong time ago) I was working with IBM machines and they were HUGE and all they could do was add, subtract, multiply and divide!! Oh, and sort punch cards - that sorter was HUGE too. Then I progressed to working on a punch tape machine and the computer needed its own HUGE humidity regulated room!! Oh and it was always needing maintenance as well (not much changed there )

I bought the kids a Sinclair 16X (is that right?) and I remember waiting ages for the games to load! Then we bought a 128 with a built in tape - course once the tape player died the computer was useless. Oooh, but I did love to play Scrabble - I won 90% of the time

Anyway, I shall await the delivery of my recovery disk which I am assured would be posted back to me tonight. Then I'll give the hardware support people another call. I don't think they reinstalled windows because all my old programs are still showing up. I really do feel like my little ol' faithful has has a personality transplant

Oh, and now I'm worried about this XP problem because the computer I'm using now has it installed. So far everything seems ok except I can't run my Pest Patrol programme. Why can't computers be simple?

Misty
                        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Aww, thanks April And thanks Badger

I've just been doing a google search to find out who is the head hombre for Comet. Isn't it funny the things you find on a google search? Found lots of complaints about Comet's customer service and the 5 star extended warranties Eventually found out that Comet is part of the Kingfisher Group which have just appointed a new Chief Exec. So if things go pear shaped with my puter I shall be going to the top!! Probably won't do any good, but I can only try

Misty

Per Ardua ad Astra!!!

Comment

Hey, you've got to complain Misty If you don't try.............

Did you get your puter disk back today BTW?!

Comment

My recovery disk hasn't arrived yet, Matthew, but if it's not here by tomorrow.........I'm sure you get the picture

Misty

Comment

Working...
                              X