This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of THOSE days

I've just had one of THOSE days, when as soon as you get up you know things aren't going to run smoothly. The eye test wasn't too bad, I couldn't focus for a while afterwards but nothing too drastic.

Then my computer froze!! I've spent the last 8 hours trying to restore it to some sort of working order. I called the support line, was talked through reformatting my hard drive, switched it back on....guess what? It was the mouse that had stopped working, not the computer...aaarrrggghhhh. Luckily I had a spare mouse so I installed that. Then I set up a a connection to the internet, but the socket I plug my modem in has mysteriously broken. Trip to the shops, buy a new extension. Plug in....won't work! Forced to use ISP software so I can connect..works like a dream. I still don't know why my new dial-up connections won't work though *sigh*.

Anyway, that's why I've not been around much today. Will spend tomorrow re-installing all my software, won't that be fun...........not.

Wish me luck

Misty_using_her_new_vibrating_mouse
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Badger, yes I had to reformat the hard disk, was talked through it by a chap at the computer helpline. Then reinstall everything.

I'm fairly sure my TCP/IP settings are correct, they worked before the crash. I've now installed software that I got from my ISP and it works ok with that. I was connecting with the server but then getting an error message saying the computer I was trying to connect with wouldn't accept, or something like that. The only trouble with the ISP software is that it's set up to use IE4 and I'm using IE5 right now, but would like to update it to IE6, so I occasionally get conflict messages.

I'm using a pc with windows98 which was preinstalled when I bought the computer. I only use one ISP but they have about 20 different phone numbers that I can connect with.
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Yikes Misty! Hope you've got things sorted, on another note, isn't it extremely boring reformatting and re-installing WinDOZE?! It's like watching paint dry.....ZZZzzZZZzzz!

I suppose most of us are forced to become 'Computer Geeks' to some extent, if we don't we'd never get our PC's back working again (or Macs if some of us use them! )

I've been saving this new emoticon , but it seems relevant to add it now....!

Comment

Working...
      X