This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday 13th

Well, as it's Friday 13th, did you know that some people suffer with 'paraskevidekatriaphobia' or 'friggatriskaidekaphobia' today?!

Sounds odd doesn't it, but on reading a couple of articles, it appears to be very true! Such people who are 'paraskevidekatriaphobic' or 'friggatriskaidekaphobic' (don't ask me to pronounce then!) harbour a Superstition about Friday the 13th and have "a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th".

Small Article Extract:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The number 13 is considered especially unlucky, though it was considered a lucky number in ancient Egypt and China. There were 13 people at the Last Supper. And several mass murderers have 13 letters in their names: Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy. Of course, millions of people who haven't committed any murders, such as Robert Carroll, have 13 letters in their names, too. As far as I know, nobody has studied how many dinner parties with 13 present went off uneventfully. Witches, perhaps to clearly oppose themselves to a Christian superstition, sometimes have groups of 13 known as covens.

Some think thirteen owes its bad reputation to Loki, the Norse god of evil, who started a riot when he crashed a banquet at Valhalla attended by 12 gods.

Some (US) cities skip 13th Ave., Sacramento has an intersection where 13th Street crosses 13th Avenue. Some buildings skip from the 12th to the 14th floor, which, of course, means that the 14th floor is actually the 13th floor.

The ancient Egyptians considered the 13th stage of life to be death, i.e., the afterlife, which they thought was a good thing. The Death card in a Tarot deck is numbered 13 and represents transformation. Those cultures with lunar calendars and 13 months don't associate 13 with anything sinister.

Friday may be considered unlucky because Christ is thought to have been crucified on a Friday, for that was execution day among the Romans. Yet, Christians don't call it Bad Friday. Friday was also Hangman's Day in Britain. Some even think that Friday was the day God threw Adam and Eve out of Eden.

Friday is Frigga's Day. Frigga (Frigg) was an ancient Celtic (Norse) fertility and love goddess, equivalent to the Roman Venus who had been worshipped on the sixth day of the week. The Celts (Norse) worshipped Frigga (Frigg) on Friday and like the ancient Romans thought it a particularly good kind of day. Christians called Frigga a witch and Friday the witches' Sabbath; modern Wiccans are happy to oblige. Some call fear of Friday the 13th friggatriskaidekaphobia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets hope the NFH out there are paraskevidekatriaphobic enough to stay in bed all day today without any peep of noise, nuisance or annoyance

I must admit I'm always a bit unsettled on a Friday 13th. Mind you, living here, I'm unsettled most days

We live in a 'green', 26 houses numbered from 1-27 (No number 13!) I don't think there is a number 13 in any of the roads on this estate.

What worries me more is that the last 3 digits of my telephone number are 666 *shiver*

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Here's the three relevant ones I came accross regarding 'neighbours':

Acousticophobia: Fear Of Noise/Sound.

Ligyrophobia: Fear Of Loud Noises.

Phonophobia: Fear of Noises or voices, speaking aloud, or telephones.

And just touching back onto the number 13 theme again -

Triskadekaphobia: Fear of the Number 13

Comment

The only phobia we have about the number 13 is the megaton size of the bomb I am going to stick into next doors garden

ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha aha hhaaa aha

(oh dear he's lost it!!!!)

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Dont ask!!!

He's been in that shed a long time!!!!

love

Horsefan2

ps if you see a mushroom cloud you will know he has finally lost it. I can swear he was trying to buy an old Russian military missile launcher last week but apparently they wouldnt take VISA!!!!

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Comment

Glad it wasn't me, I'm already hexed by having that number as the last three digits of my phone number

So, go outside, spit, turn round three times and say "Get thee behind me, NFH". That should fix it

Misty
              "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

spoke to one of my school friends last night and she told me that a mutal friend had just had a baby...

ahh thats nice said I...

was then told baby was born on friday 13th.....

...and what did they call him??????????

oh yes they did!!!!!!!!

I could here the theme music in my head as she said it....

DAMIEN!!!

Comment

Oh no!!!!!

The end is near, prepare to meet thy doom

If that poor child isn't the antichrist he's definitely going to grow up with complex

Misty_frantically_crossing_herself

Comment

This thread is kind of scaring me now, but I had to post to say I was woken up on Friday 13th by a phonecall telling me I'd won a holiday!

Comment

Working...
                    X