This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Radio

Live Radio is now available to listen to on the Forum! If you need relaxation or something to get you in the mood, this is it.

If you click on the 'Radio' link (next to the Calendar link) from your top text menu, you will get a pop up box with 10 pre-set live radio stations available. I've tried to put a variety in, but there are quite a few available, let me know if you'd like to see a particular one, even a local station, as many of these are available on the internet.

When you first click on a station, it may take a few seconds to start, and you may see the software being used 'buffering' (e.g. downloading a few seconds first before it starts), before it starts to play normally.

Stations with 'wm' play with Windows Media Player and those with 'rm', with 'Real Media Player'.

If you haven't got Real Media player you can get a Free version (not the one you have to pay for) by visiting here to download and clicking on "Free RealOne Player" (top right) and then selecting "Download the Free RealOne Player" on the bottom right of the next page.

Most people have Windows Media Player, if you're using Windows or a Macintosh platform, but if needed, this is free, and available to download from here.

You won't affect our speed/server on the forum as the Live Radio 'streams' come/download directly from the broadcaster in question and the quality varies, again depending on what station you choose.

The 'BB' links mean alternative links for a station (if any) to click on for those using Broadband, they will be higher speed/better quality. If you hear any gaps/pauses when playing a station, it's more likely going to be either your internet connection, or the server you are getting the radio from (e.g. the BBC).

A lot of people will know this, but, whilst listening to the radio, it's possible you may find your overall internet connection speed slows. To listen to constant radio, you constantly need to download in advance to achieve the 'stream' (e.g. the buffering as mentioned).

So, this may affect the speed your messages/the forum loads - especially if you're on a slower analogue modem (say, 33.6, 28.8K modem). 64K and 128K ISDN users and Broadband 128K-1mb etc should be great!

Hope it's useful to some anyway, may be nice to listen and read/post or could be handy for workplaces etc too. *Cough* - not that I'm suggesting anything!!

Feedback always welcome as are any problems you may come across.

Matthew, thank you This is great!! You've included at least two of my favourite radio stations and I can have a listen to others as well

You're a genius

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by april@Apr 7 2003, 12:18 AM

Heard a little bit of Radio Two, but the truth is my Real Player is just not right at the moment
      Mine was a bit 'dicky' too lately, it seemed to fix itself after I downloaded the latest free version and re-installed, no probs then

Comment

could be handy for workplaces etc too[/b]

Ahem.. unfortuntely not here, the powers that be have disabled all our sound cards. Spoil sports!

Comment

That is so clever Badger - I like that one

Comment

I did try out the radio station tonight and like you say Matthew it came through in fits and starts, especially if I was searching or posting my computer took quite a while for it to kick in.

Will Broadband level this out and prevent it from happening - I know Broadband is much quicker - but are you still likely to get that break in the service from the radio from time to time ?

Comment

Hey Scooby

Broadband should definitely increase the performance of live radio as you'll be able to buffer, download ('stream') the files much more quickly.

Having said that, we use broadband at home and we get gaps in the playback sometimes, it all solely rests on the performance/speed of the Radio server it's coming from really.

When you first start up a station too, it takes a few seconds to start, this is quite normal too.

Comment

... err, the 'radio' seems to be missing from the new Coco Cola Skin. I'm sure its an oversight.

I just changed skin ... Matt, your slacking.
                Spy Sweeper[/url] | Ad-Aware[/url] | SpywareBlaster[/url] | ZA Firewall[/url] | GIANT AntiSpyware

http://www.muckshifter.co.uk/images/snake75.gif

Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over.

Comment

Originally posted by muckshifter@Jun 29 2003, 5:58 PM

... err, the 'radio' seems to be missing from the new Coco Cola Skin. I'm sure its an oversight.*
                  Actually it's missing from all the skins Mucks me 'ole Mucker!

Quite deliberate though, just haven't added them yet! But will get around to it soon

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean.

On another note, I'm not receiving email notifications of my posts? I have ticked the right boxes, or have I missed something?
                    Spy Sweeper[/url] | Ad-Aware[/url] | SpywareBlaster[/url] | ZA Firewall[/url] | GIANT AntiSpyware

Comment

Originally posted by muckshifter@Jun 29 2003, 7:32 PM

On another note, I'm not receiving email notifications of my posts?
                      Mhhmmmm, is that now fixed for you Mucks as you replied to a topic notification e-mail back to me?

Clicking the track this topic link should just add it automatically

Comment

All fixed.

Comment

Working...
                        X