X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Letters!

Hi everyone,

I read with interest on some of the other threads that an idea has been collectively mooted that we could use some sort of well produced pro-forma letters that could help us 'kick-start' any action we feel we might take to bring some of these situations forward.

While all situations differ in detail nearly all involve some 'contravention' of specific if toothless law or abuse of statutary human rights and it might be good to have 'model' or 'template' letters that could at least serve as a staring point and in which the applicable aspects of the law as it stands can be made unequivocal.

These could take the form of draft letters under various headings;

ie;Contacting Council Services re noise/ late night disturbance/antisocial behaviour.etc

Contacting private landlords regarding same

Contacting Environmental Health

Contacting the police re. harrassment...............and so on......

If these 'templates' are succinct , encompass the relevent points of law and can be made to work pro-actively they could be a great help to somebody who does not know where to start their battle to win

back their basic rights.

I know that greater minds than mine have already lent themselves to this idea but I am sure that between us, and headed up by someone with some familiarity and experience with the legalities we could produce a powerful tool.

I am not an expert and my letters tend to deteriorate into cosmic rants but I would be happy to contribute ideas or comment on drafts/give feedback etc.

What does everyone think?

'Official' headed documentation could lend considerable weight here but not ,I feel,with the title 'Neighbours From Hell' since although this sums up everybodies feelings about the matter it could be viewed by the powers that be as sensationalist and the product of a loose affilation of cranky teapots!(Which I for one am certainly NOT...........?.......well ,a bit!)

Perhaps a heading like 'National Concern for ..........'or something along those lines would send the message that ordinary decent people are rising up!!

Power To The P(......sorry; getting a bit carried away there)

Flo.

Hi Flo

Yes, that's a great idea and you've reminded us we must look into it again, as Ang says, we did skirt over it at some point a while back.......then the new site and the new forum took up the time.......

These are some objective points of view:

Beth and I have just discussed this in some depth - and we basically reached the same general consensus; we feel it would be a shame to lose the NFH title/branding for official letters/communications, although we can understand fully where Flo is coming from and it's a good point, some recipients of said letters may frown a little or even think like Flo said we are all 'crackpots'................................!

However, having said that, as NFH becomes even more known won't it become obvious to people/organisations that we are a serious action group? - And the only way to forge that reputation is to use it (our original branding) from the start - after all, just because you have a serious sounding name, doesn't mean you are a seriously effective group does it? Look at it this way, our name itself is enough to grab people's attention, make them sit up and listen, even if it's just initially, isn't it?

If it makes people laugh or smile the first time they read it, does it matter? Or is it getting people's attention, making them listen, making a difference that matters more? They will soon realise we are serious and we mean business?

For example, would 'Citizens Unite Against Anti-Social Neighbours in Britain" really sound better? Is it more interesting, sound more boring, less catchy, etc, etc?

It's like saying, "NFH" branding is good enough on the site - and we are probably going to get more PR on the internet than anywhere else (certainly for now) but not good enough for 'official' documentation - isn't that shooting ourselves in the feet?

----So, please don't take these comments personally anyone, just playing devil's-advocate here

Another question: Do we actually need a 'title' on our letters?

We could use a subtle logo (say the small one on the main site) and at the bottom or top, say something like "This Letter is endorsed by the Neighbours From Hell in Britain Website at www.nfh.org.uk and it's contents have been approved by the group to reflect the views, facts and opinions in this matter" or words to that effect, blah, blah, blah..........

Beth and I think if we were to make another name come into use, it would confuse the NFH title which is now becoming rapidly known and identified by people and almost undermine our very causes, but what does everyone else think?

So, a sort of sample would be maybe..........(at header or footer of letter, logo would be centred):

This Letter is endorsed by the Neighbours From Hell in Britain Website at www.nfh.org.uk and it's contents have been approved by the group to reflect the views, facts and opinions in this matter.

Matthew & Beth

Comment

.......Should have also said, regardless of said official titles, etc....that I agree totally, this project should be a joint venture and collaboration - between us we can make sure nothing is overlooked, or missed, etc and we get the best possible and most effective 'templates' as we can create........

For example I've got better knowledge in some areas of legislation than others as I'm sure Flo and other's will have the same areas they are better at than others, etc - and we also need grass roots stuff I reckon?

So, maybe we should decide upon a small group, say 4 or 5 of us to work on the issues and collaborate further?

Thoughts anyone?

Matthew

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Yes I agree with you that to have one identity as a website and another on hard-copy would,on reflection ,be counter-productive.

I hadn't intended to imply that the name was naff!

In fact-as a logo with that endorsement below it looks good-subtle in away that a big splash banner might not be. No offence taken!

Rats..you've made me use emoticons for the first time in my life!!

It'll be teapots at dawn next.

Seriously though-whenever I write an 'official' letter,whether work-related or to some 'higher'authority, I have to get a friend to edit it for me and remove all the verbosity and general madness. Sometimes I even E-mail them to myself first to see how I react to them!!

I am probably not the best person to draft a letter but am a dab hand at spotting lunacy unless it is of my own making.

Yrs. Completely Bonkers,

flow

Comment

Originally posted by floricicia@Nov 18 2002, 09:01 PM

Hi Matthew,

* * * * * * * *Yes I agree with you that to have one identity as a website and another on hard-copy would,on reflection ,be counter-productive.

* * * * * * * *I hadn't intended to imply that the name was naff!
          Hi Flo,

I hadn't thought for a moment you meant to imply the name was naff I know you didn't!

I say let's go with the Flo (I'm sorry, I've been trying to resist saying that for ages now and couldn't help myself! ) and get a small group together to work on the templates/pro-forma's first, what say you all?

Flo - you will be part of the said group won't you?

Any other takers? Please say "I" if interested!

Matthew

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Yes , I am sure this could be an ongoing project that lots of members could take a part in and it would be perhaps an additional catharsis to contribute in whatever way to something so pro-active.See how people feel .I merely posted the topic because I thought it was a good idea that seemed to be at the back of many peoples minds.

As a said in my opening post I would be happy to comment or contribute thoughts where I feel I can,given that my PC skills are iffy (and my typinge skills non-existent; each one of these letters has been carefully selected and aged for many years in an oak vat!)

I am only too aware that the burden of making these things happen tends to fall on the shoulders of the few who can make them happen. I could give nothing like the energy and skill to this forum that you, and others have given. I am in awe of you all! But I would like to feel I could support in some way if I can. Go with the flo.......see what evolves....this site is already heap powerful medicine!

yrs.Flo

Comment

Hmmnn.....I seem to have posted twice.....sorry guys .......please delete as required.

I think it's time for my medication doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by floricicia@Nov 18 2002, 10:33 PM

I am only too aware that the burden of making these things happen tends to fall on the shoulders of the few who can make them happen. I could give nothing like the energy and skill to this forum that you, others have given. I am in awe of you all!* But I would like to feel I could support in some way if I can. Go with the flo......
                Hi Flo!

Please don't put yourself down!!

This site belongs to everyone and everyone contributes in some way, personally I am cr*p on a PC and keeps annoying Matthew to help me

There again I help Matthew in other ways in the same way you are!

I am official web tester woman (for my sins)

and you can be Idea woman........Together we will fight the crime of the noisey neighbour......a trio to be reckoned with.....

NANANANAN NANANANANA NANANANA

The NFH Women!!!

Comment

I also think these would be very useful, and could do with one now.

no more updates at the moment but i am seeing the police today hopefully to report NFH abusive behaviour. ttfn Tigger

Comment

Is there anything I can do to help? I have a fair amount of free time and I'd be willing to learn more.

Misty
                    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi It's rather late now (even for me!) but I intend to do a 'search' to see if I an find any templates out 'there' that we could maybe use/adapt. I know I have some on MS Word but they are rather basic.

Also....as I am online more than most (sad or what?? ) I am offering to help any which way I can...Just let me know how

Nite nite!
                      http://www.nfh.org.uk/images/board_i...die_avatar.jpg

Even if there is a rip in your teddy bear, his love will never fall out.

Comment

Working...
                      X