This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jerk who complains about the noise

The new Doritos ad on tv reinforces the idea that those who complain about noise are sensitive no life jerks. The people in the ad don't want to be seen as complainers - the connotation is clear, complainers are weak little fusspots. Well we don't want to complain, we're forced to - and we don't like to be thought of as jerks either.

In the ad, for those who haven't seen it, there is loud music coming from upstairs, and someone says; "I don't want to be the jerk from downstairs who complains about the noise". Eventually someone goes up to complain about the noise and Kelly Osbourne opens the door eating Doritos. Someone in the room says; "Who's that?" and she says "Oh just some jerk from downstairs complaining about the noise".

My sense of humour is intact but I don't like this at all, so we're jerks because we want to sleep/get on with our lives and not be invaded by others' noise?

I don't like Doritos anyway but if I did I'd never buy them again.

Spinks

I haven't seen the ad but from what you've described, spinky, I think it sounds obnoxious.

Maybe we should all email or write to the company that manufactures Dorito's and thank them for exposing themselves as ignorant jerks!! Perhaps point out to them that many victims of noise abuse eat Doritos so their ad will probably backfire. Also castigate them for turning ignorant NFH into some sort of role models.

Grrr. I'm angry

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I just found this site: http://www.cap.org.uk/

And found this as well:
      Social responsibility/decency/fear and distress/safety/anti-social behaviour 2.2/4/5/9/10/11*

Is the marketing communication socially irresponsible, likely to offend its audience or cause fear or distress without good reason? Does it show unsafe or anti-social behaviour? Does it encourage people to break the law?[/b]

So maybe we should all complain to the Committee for Advertising Practice. I would certainly call noise abuse anti-social.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Yes I think we should complain to the broadcasting people

what about something like.........

Dear.........

I am writing to you as a representative from the internet support group Neighbours From Hell in Britain, regarding the doritos advertisment that has been shown recently.

This advert portrays people who complain about noisey neighbours as "jerks"

where in fact Noise from neighbours can be very damaging, causing both mental and phsyical ailments.

This advert is showing young people that it is ok to make a lot of noise and the person who complains is an idiot, reinforcing the fact that you can do what you want and effect who you want by your noise, and therefore have no respect for the people around you.

I would like to ask that this advertisment be removed from our screens or changed dramatically as I truly believe this advert will in time increase the amount of stress some people already suffer from the hands of their neighbours.

I would also like you to visit our support group and read for yourselves the situations people are put through by inconsiderate neighbours.

yours truly

.....blah blah.....

www.nfh.org.uk

Then we get the national papers involved telling them about doritos and we are all going to boycott them untill the advert is changed!

Misty, do you happen to have an address for the complaints people?

(sorry would look my self but having migraine, had to write this post though!)

I think we should get as many members to complain as possible on this.

Comment

Place to complain about television advertising is: http://www.itc.org.uk/how_can_we_help/ads/...mplaint_ads.asp

I've also found out in the UK Doritos are distributed by Walkers (crisps). I've found their website but no contact information.

I thought your letter was excellent, Beth

Shall we all write?

Misty

Comment

I havent yet seen the advert, the link you gave is excellent Misty, right to the point, but it asks when and what channel

please can someone tell me as I am in a complaining mood!!

Beth feeling a lot better!

Comment

Glad you all agree. I'm going to complain as soon as I get an address.

I know Walkers are based in Leicestershire.

On the back of their packets of crisps is a number;

08457 274777 plus an address, but it's for consumer complaints - as in complaints about the product. But the phone number might be of use to ask for their customer relations department.

The ad is on all the independant stations, so ITV.

It tends to be on in the evening.

I complained to the ITC last year about animal cruelty on a digital channel. They looked at a tape of the programme and said "The programme was causing the animals unessecary distress and suffering but in the situation of no other complainants" etc etc etc - so we need as many complaints as possible I think to get something done.

PS Beth - that sublime (???) channel QVC has a product guaranteed to combat migraines, it involves some sort of mask and equipment - just passing the info on!!!!! Was about £35.

Comment

£35!!

gosh I think I'll stick to good ole migraleve!

Thanks for the advice though!

If you check the link that Misty gave you can complain on line, saves finding a stamp!

Comment

Havent seen the ad folks but just to confirm that Walkers crisps produce/ distribute them

They are targetted particularly at the "yooth" market and so I suppose the ad is aimed squarely at them.

The advertising watchdog is the avenue to go down- wouldnt even waste your breath contacting Walkers there is no way they would voluntarily scrap a series of very expensive ad's due to a "guilty" concious.

If I can dig up the address I will post it later

HF

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Just referring back to Beth's earlier message, when someone next see's the advert, can they please post here to let us know what channel, the date shown and time shown.

The ITC need this information on the complaint form.

Cheers everyone!

Comment

This sort of thing does nothing to further responsible public awareness and only serves to trivialise and make the problem of noise comical or even ridiculous.

Don't get me started on the Osbourne's children though..........

Comment

just seen it

discovery channel (sky)

11pm

28th March 2003!

now we can complain!!

Comment

I also saw it: 9.27pm, channel 4 between the second and third segment of friends.

I'll do an online complaint tomorrow

Misty

Comment

fantastic!

the more complaints the better,

what about press coverage? any ideas or favorite papers?

I will do mine in the next few days.....such a pain working weekends!!!

Comment

I've just completed the online form and made my complaint. Just have to sit back and wait now

Misty

Comment

Working...
                              X