This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic Pensioner driven to despair

I saw this story in today's daily mail. Unfortunately it's not on their website and my scanner is still not working. I think it's important so I'll type it out here. (please excuse any typos)

A pensioner was driven to suicide after being harassed by vandals. Issac Bishop, a retired steelworker, fell into despair after youths damaged his roof and pestered him repeatedly.

The 66 year old told his son, who has learning difficulties, that he intended to take his own life. On November 24 last year, he sent his son to the local police station with a suicide note in a sealed envelope. While he ran the errand, Mr.Bishop used a saucepan to hammer a dagger into his heart.

On Friday, an inquest in Workington, Cumbria, heard how the widower - known as Ike - became 'worried and stressed' a few months before his death. Coroner John Taylor, sitting at West Allerdale magistrates court, heard that Mr.Bishop planned to die.

His 39 year old son, Malcolm told the inquest: 'He said he had to do it to himself. He told me on that night before he gave me the note. He didn't say how he was going to do it and that it wasn't my fault.' He added: 'My father was a kind and loving man and I had a strong relationship with him. I used to see him five days a week and most weekends. He was a sociable man who had a few close friends.'

The inquest heard that Mr.Bishop had also written a letter to one of his two sisters, Deann Brown, who lives in Durham. They had not seen each other since 1996 but kept in touch. she received his last letter two days after his death.

'My brother used to write to me every week.' she said. 'In the last letter he said he was sick of everything and wanted to die. I know he had problems with vandals - and he said he was frightened of someone. He said it might be the last letter I got from him. I can't understand where he got the dagger. No one should die that way.'

The coroner, Mr.Taylor, said: 'We have heard Isaac had a little bit of worry and stress about the children that lived in his street and that other matters had got on top of him and as a result he formed the intention of taking his own life.' He recorded a verdict of suicide.

I felt I should write to the Daily Mail and here is what I said:

Sir,

What a desperately sad story you published about Mr.Isaac Bishop who was driven to suicide by vandals. (DM 24.2.03)

I was disappointed in the comments of the coroner, Mr.Taylor, i.e. 'We have heard Isaac had a little bit of worry and stress about the children that lived in his street.....' Anybody who has suffered at the hands of these young thugs will tell you it's hardly 'a little bit of trouble'. Unless you have been the victim in a case like this you will have no idea of the alarm and distress that can be caused by young kids who think it is a laugh to target somebody, especially if you are old, sick or in any other way vulnerable.

The feeling of isolation when trying to get help from the police and local authority and finding, in many cases, that your complaints are viewed as trivial, can drive many to despair.

May I invite anybody who has similar problems, or any kind of 'neighbour' problem, and has access to the internet to visit http://www.nfh.org.uk which is an online community offering help, advice and support. We cannot promise we will solve your problem but we can help take away that feeling of isolation.

If this letter should be published, will you please omit my name and address, as I have been the victim of such antisocial behaviour.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

you go girl!!

I think you should have a new tittle of publicity officer!!

what a sad story and like you said in the letter the first thing that came into my head was....a little bit of trouble!!

a little bit would not drive you to plunge a dagger into your chest,

it is still so surprising that people just dont get it.

i guess we are now used to talking about our problems and having people who understand, I forget there is still a lot of ignorance out there about what vicitms of nfh are put through.

Comment

It really makes me angry that as you both say, nobody seems to understand the 'chinese water torture' effect of constant harassment. I expect that Mr.John Taylor, coroner, also thinks 'Kids will be kids', so it doesn't mean much if they're harassing someone so close to the edge that he takes his own life.

Maybe we should get in touch with a university and see if they will do a study on the effects of anti-social behaviour on people like poor Isaac. Of course we KNOW, but it seems that is not enough, it has to be legitimised by official studies!!!

Oh, I'm so angry

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by E.Beth@Feb 24 2003, 12:34 PM

I think you should have a new tittle of publicity officer!!
        Definitely agreed there Beth!

What a sad story that is, that someone at the absolute ends of their tether and despair can go through with the act of suicide. What about the future for this son who has learning disabilities too? Lets hope he gets the input he needs and is able to move on from the terrible thing that has happened.

Nice letter Misty Lets hope it gets printed.

Comment

Sorry to say the Daily Mail have just sent me a pro forma email saying they won't be printing my letter I don't suppose they even read it. Oh, well, I tried

Misty

Comment

Originally posted by Mistyeyeddreamer@Feb 24 2003, 1:10 PM

Maybe we should get in touch with a university and see if they will do a study on the effects of anti-social behaviour on people like poor Isaac.¬* Of course we KNOW, but it seems that is not enough, it has to be legitimised by official studies!!!
            Actually, funny enough you mention that Misty - as part of my MA in Social Work that I'll be hopefully beginning 2004, I plan to study anti-social behaviour, it's effects on communities/individuals, linking this with NFH in particular.

So, I do hope everyone can help me with any questionnaires I plan to throw at you all next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Mistyeyeddreamer@Feb 24 2003, 3:37 PM

Sorry to say the Daily Mail have just sent me a pro forma email saying they won't be printing my letter¬* ¬* ¬* I don't suppose they even read it.¬* Oh, well, I tried

Misty
              Bummer, nice try Misty

It probably wasn't 'conservative' enough for the Daily Mail?!

Comment

So, I do hope everyone can help me with any questionnaires I plan to throw at you all next year!¬*[/b]

Bring them on, Matthew. I for one will be delighted to answer your questionairre

I was a bit disappointed about the mail turning down my letter, hope you don't mind but I visited the Richard and Judy website and have made a request that they add nfh.org.uk as a link on their site. They have a number of 'useful helplines' I thought ours deserved to be there as well. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Misty

Comment

Originally posted by Mistyeyeddreamer@Feb 24 2003, 5:05 PM

I visited the Richard and Judy website and have made a request that they add nfh.org.uk as a link on their site...
                  That's great Misty, thanks

More links is always better!

Comment

Working...
                  X