This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody Needs Good Neighbours!

No, not the Soap tune (I can hear you humming it!), but this news on the main NFH website claims that Huddersfield neighbours are good!

Nice story, for once. I found an old school pal on the friends reunited site and she lives in Huddersfield, I must ask her if that's how it is there.

I suppose there must be pockets of good neighbourliness all over the place we just don't hear about them.

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I'm sure it must be a few pockets to be totally honest.....like all Towns, Huddersfield has it's good and bad areas (I was driving on the main road into Huddersfield only the other day and there were a few 'rough occurrences' going on, etc).

Where does she live Misty? Loads of Hudds areas as well as central Huddersfield - Bradley, Fartown, Newsome, Lindley, Netherton, Oakes, Lockwood, Crosland Moor, March, Moldgreen, Almondbury, Birkby, etc, etc.

Comment

Even in 'rough' areas you can find a road or a street where everybody looks after each other, like where my sister lives, it's been really messed up by the HA demolishing houses and leaving a mess, but the neighbours are the salt of the earth and all the trouble comes from yobs from the surrounding area.

My friend lives in Almondbury, Matthew, she says its near a castle (I think). She seems quite happy there

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Mistyeyeddreamer@Jan 19 2003, 4:47 PM

My friend lives in Almondbury, Matthew, she says its near a castle (I think). *She seems quite happy there *

Misty
          Ahh, that must be 'Castle Hill' Misty, lovely scenery and views around there, so high up!

(Oh, and a big BMW garage in Almondbury which is a definitive landmark!).

Comment

as in all places there are good and bad!

sometimes the difference is only streets apart!

certainly in Yorkshire, the different areas just merge into one another, you have to have been born here to know the boundries!

I've heard people say that they would'nt live in so and so but then you point out that they are only two streets away!

inner city yorkshire is not terribly pleasant but the bits you see on the telly are great.

a nice little place is Holmfirth, near Huddersfield, thats where last of the summer wine was filmed.

ps castle hill is pretty but windy!!

Comment

did any one see the film"pass it forward"?

a good film about doing a good deed for three people

and they do a good deed for three people

and then they do a good deed for three people...get my drift?!

in the end there are so many good deeds going around there is no time for bad deeds!

I was just talking to my mum about being good neighbours and we were saying that you dont get to see so many people in the winter,

if you have elderly or infirm neighbours whom you have not seen for a while, please knock on their doors and check they are ok.

Love and peace Beth......bringing a little bit of love to your lifes!!

Comment

Parts of Huddersfield are nice, yes E.beth Holmfirth is very pretty but overrun by tourists, also has its nfh probs (one threatened my mum).

For some more information about neighbours in Huddersfield, I'm sure that "Mediation in Kirklees" would be able to provide some useful statistics about neighbour problems!

I loved the idea in the film Pass it Forward. I try to do nice things (brought nice neighbours bin back this morning, she'll probably bring it back for me next week) and it does make you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by hollygolightly@Jan 24 2003, 9:25 AM

Parts of Huddersfield are nice, yes E.beth Holmfirth is very pretty but overrun by tourists
                  I heard from someone last year about a London based couple that bought a house in Holmfirth for around £200K and they simply visit at weekends. I would imagine that house purchase from outside an area like that, is really going to bump up the house prices and prevent 'locals' from buying what would have been a cheaper property.

Last of the Summer Wine for example really has raised awareness and the tourist trade to Holmfirth - can be a good thing and a bad thing. I don't remember "All Creatures Great and Small" having a similiar effect, do you?!

Comment

Working...
                  X