This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Radio 4: You & Yours

Beth's asked me (she's at work at the moment) to post a message about the Radio 4 interview she did for BBC Radio 4's "You and Yours".

When she was interviewed, the interviewer told her it would be broadcast on Monday 6th January 2003 (12pm - 1pm), but according to the Beeb's website listings for tommorow, that programme deals with disability issues, etc.

So, to be honest we're not sure if it will be tommorow (Mon 6th) or broadcast another day this week, etc. Beth has e-mailed the original researcher who contacted NFH in Britain, to ask when it's coming on - so I'll post an update Monday morning if we get a reply back from the researcher Dianne McGregor in time.

You and Yours has a website and you can even listen to the latest program on the same day online, if it gets missed.

Dianne McGregor has just confirmed this via e-mail.

Just a quick note to say this is definitely being broadcast today on Radio 4, around 12.30pm.

Apparently, the first half of the programme is about disabilities then the second half of the programme (about half an hour) is looking at different kinds of noise, etc.

Comment

Thanks Matthew, I've just tuned in my radio to the right station. Now all I have to do is try and not get distracted and forget to listen

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Well done Beth You were great! It was an interesting piece and a few good points were made especially about not lowering your own noise. However I don't think keeping up your own normal noise level would drown out the dreaded bass!!!

I had the radio on and was on the phone when I heard the piece start so I'm not sure if the site was mentioned or not. If it was, I didn't hear it

We'll have to listen next week to see if there is any feedback Hope I don't forget to listen!

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi all,

Unfortunately the website wasn't mentioned, but I've just sent an e-mail to Radio 4 about our site and forum and what we are doing here.

I thought the programme presented a balanced view and in a good style - e.g. they didn't side with anyone, it was an objective viewpoint.

It would have been good to respond live to some of the participant's reponses - especially the one Misty has pointed out, about not turning your own noise down. It could have have been useful to say in response to that, that people suffering with neighbour nuisance are often caught in the trap of wanting to live 'normally' but cannot as they need (and indeed have to as instructed by EHO depts) to record nuisances from neighbours to actually try and postively do something about it.

It's getting a happy medium I suppose - recording 'events' that are considered 'abnormnal' from NFH, but trying not to record everything that comes from next door (e.g like supposedly 'normal living' noises).

We all know though, how jumpy it can make us and it's no wonder this happens - and as Misty says too, you can't drown out some noise, like bass, it's impossible. Also many people have other neighbours to consider, by making noise to drown out noise, you can become an NFH yourself!

All in all though, an interesting program If anyone missed it today, you can listen to the latest program on the BBC Radio 4 website (address below) and I'll also soon be putting up a 'sound snippet' of the relevant bits where it can be heard from our main website.

If anyone wants to contact You and Yours about us here or any other comment about the program today, here's the info from their website:

CONTACT YOU AND YOURS:

Radio 4's Audience Line number is:

0800 044 044

You can email:[email protected]

or you can write to us:

You and Yours, BBC Radio 4, Broadcasting House, London W1A 1AA

You and Yours

Comment

It's getting a happy medium I suppose - recording 'events' that are considered 'abnormnal' from NFH, but trying not to record everything that comes from next door (e.g like supposedly 'normal living' noises).[/b]

That's so true, Matthew and even in my situation I have that sort of thing. I can either sit in my back bedroom and not see anything (and clean up the mess the next day) or I have to watch and record which of the yobs is throwing the muck, stones and other missiles. I sometimes think watching and recording is more stressful than the actual incidents, especially if the morons see you watching, it seems to just encourage them to do more.

As to the programme, I agree with your assessment. Just a pity the site wasn't mentioned

Misty

Comment

Great beth just caught it in time .

funny hearing your voice not what i imagined good to put a voice to the face though.

Some very interesting points in it .

The main one for me and a bit of a concern would be the noise map.

If your house ends up in an area black spot for noise, how would you ever sell your house .

especially if it was available to the public!!!

the horsefans

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Enters and takes a bow!!!!

thanks for listening guys!

got so much grief at work as I made everyone listen, they thought I was going to use my "posh" telephone voice!!

Ah Horsefans...I am a southener living in Yorkshire!!

I was disappointed they did'nt plug the site We will all have to e-mail them for the comments bit and remind them!!

Comment

Well done E.Beth,

I too was a little disappointed that the site wasn't mentioned by the program and I felt that their 'slant' was a little TOO general given the potential severity of neighbour disputes and the lack of any consistent or effective redress-aside from having your home devalued if you dare to complain.......(I STILL can't get my head around this one!!)

I thought your contribution was spot on though!

I have written to You/Yours...reffering this site to researchers and victims alike and pointing out the gist of my comments above and simply noting that although nobody could deny the problems and misery brought on by environmental noise pollution ,it is my contention that PROBABLY less people have lost their homes ,health,livelihood and LIVES as a result of air-conditioning noise!

Politely!

flo

Comment

Working...
                  X