X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Din!!

Hi folks,

We are keen DIY ers( need to be carefull how that comes across!!)

We are very careful that we do not carry out any work after tea time due to the noise etc although when "chummy" next door gets going the noise can go on until midnight!!

It got us chatting and we wonder wether any of you have to endure DIY noise at all?

Be interested to hear your replies

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

we only realised that "they" had moved in when the drill started going at 2am!!

and it continued till they left.....

......infact after they left as the landlord made them come back 3 times to fix the damage they had caused!!

apparantely he put his fist through the wall.

this was the closest emoticon I could find!

Comment

Yes, at the moment we have Laurence Ll-Bowen & Carol Smilie next door (I am hoping thats because they've only recently moved. Hammering, drilling and the good old.....laminate flooring... they've just put it in their kitchen (our lounge is next to this) so their whole house is now laminated...and don't we know it?

Comment

Originally posted by hollygolightly@Jan 16 2003, 12:14 PM

Yes, at the moment we have Laurence Ll-Bowen & Carol Smilie next door (I am hoping thats because they've only recently moved. Hammering, drilling and the good old.....laminate flooring... they've just put it in their kitchen (our lounge is next to this) so their whole house is now laminated...and don't we know it?
        May I ask Holly and I know they're new neighbours from what you say.....but have you had a chance/opportunity to broach the subject of noise/DIY with them? I know it's hard with new neighbours particularly to address potential or actual noise problems, etc - you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, don't want to start something from what maybe nothing, etc, etc..

But just thought I'd ask anyway

Comment

Yes, i talked to them about noise (mainly complaining about music being loud and late at night) and the fact that as the walls are thin that we can hear a lot from their property, examples given were: going up and down the stairs, opening and closing drawers, emptying a full bladder...

So they do know the situation. I think the recent flurry of DIY has been to get their front bedroom decorated. I hope they get it finished quickly.

Comment

Hi gang,

Aquarius, you hit the nail on the head when you say that these people put their own needs first!!

Some of my own "projects" have lasted days longer than they needed to because we have this self imposed tea time(6pm) curfew on any work in the house. I feel it is important to do this merely so that we can maintain the "moral" high ground against the NFH.!!

thanks for your comments

HF1

Comment

Agreed Aquarius Some NFH think just because their DIY is a priority to them all other neighbours should share their same priority in letting them getting it finished, and at whatever time of the day or night!

When Beth and I recently did some major re-decorating last August time, we always made sure we stopped making any noise by tea-time at the latest. When we've had anything major done (e.g noisy plastering/ceiling work), new roof, double-glazing installed etc - we always warn our neighbours verbally and/or by a note too in advance of the work starting.

We also bought flowers for both sets of neighbours after having the noisy plastering (ceiling) done last year just to make sure that things were still totally amicable. The chap next door lives on his own, apart from when his kids stay, and I think it was a first for him getting flowers from a woman (Beth) - I'm not sure he knew how to react!

But it's all about courtesy isn't it, typically as we know NFH have none, they are too blinkered and selfish to their own lives to have room for any!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew@Jan 18 2003, 12:17 PM

When Beth and I recently did some major re-decorating last August time,
                under statement of the year Matthew!!

we ripped walls down and all sorts, we had to do something for the neighbours as we had made alot of noise.

But as Matthew said we did the noisey stuff at a reasonble time and the quieter stuff later.....

....however I do remember going to A+E at 11pm after standing on a rusty nail!!

Comment

ouch!!

Comment

Working...
                  X