This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Maybe Some Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Can I just say that today there has been a small turning point. For obvious reasons I cannot report to you all what has happened because this is now the subject of a further investigation and I don't want to impede in any way that. I want this a*sewipe brought to justice and I am keeping everything crossed (including my fallopian tubes) that we are going to get it.

I cannot tell you how touched I was and how all your concerns really shone through. Arquarius - you are right it does feel like one big family.

I personally feel that the Police should take a more proactive stance against these NFH's. If they can have specially trained Police Officer's just to deal with domestic violence issues then why not neighbour disputes. I get hacked right off when the Police come back and hide behind the curtain of "Sorry but its a civil matter". Really, well, if they had to live by these To**ers then quite honestly they would get their cronies to sort them out.

We had a Police Officer and his wife living next door but one to us. Yes folks, nextdoor in fact to NFH. But because this guy was a Police Officer NFH would not dare step out of line. But when Policeman moved away, all that changed and NFH became more aggresive and eventually more violent. Ironically Policeman and his family hated the sight of NFH and used to make us laugh about the time when he saw NFH in the backgarden at 9.30pm pitch black, chucking it down with rain, with a chainsaw, cutting down a tree. Now I know these are not the actions of a normal and sane person, but when Policeman was there it was bearable and mostly laughable. But sadly, the story as you are now aware has changed.

No-one and I mean no-one should have to tolerate vile behaviour and the reality is if we were living on a council estate, then the local authorities would sit up and take action. But when you own your own property the laws are different. There should be laws in place to forcefully remove and sell NFH's property. If they can confiscate drug dealers homes, cars etc, then why not NFH's they cause just as much misery and wreck preoples lives into the process.

I hated having to go above peoples heads to get answers today and I don't like the fact that I had to rub peoples backs up the wrong way to get some sort of a result. I'm a non confrontational person and this type of complaint should not be necessary.

The Police are out there day in and day out with their speed cameras, having a go a joe public to line their coffers, but when the chips are down where are the Police to protect us. I had this completely deluded idea that we were living in a democratic society - oh yeah where ?

Theres no democracy in being terrorised day in and day out by NFH and this government should start to take stock of what is happening and get laws passed through PDQ to give the Police powers to detain these perpertrators.

This afternoon I went to lovely old village church which is usually open and I sat in there and thought that there could not be a God because if there was then he would not allow this to continue. But actually there is a God because I was able to find this site and find that I am not alone in this situation.

So I supose the end of this should say :-

What goes around comes around and if there is justice in this world they will get their comeuppance.

Scooby

No-one and I mean no-one should have to tolerate vile behaviour and the reality is if we were living on a council estate, then the local authorities would sit up and take action. But when you own your own property the laws are different. There should be laws in place to forcefully remove and sell NFH's property. If they can confiscate drug dealers homes, cars etc, then why not NFH's they cause just as much misery and wreck preoples lives into the process.[/b]

I hate to disillusion you - but it really does depend on which LA owns the estate one lives on. Action against NFH actually costs money - and Bristol will NOT spend one penny on this sort of thing.

Please don't misunderstand me and think that I am 'having a go' at you personally - no way - I'm just trying to ensure that anyone reading these posts as a guest (the hoped for officials!!!!) should get the idea that council tenants are 'alright'!

This council have all the powers that any LA has - as do the police: we have an area HQ just round the corner from us but the drug dealers and locals ignore them - why not? the only time we ever see the polce here is when they are going back for tea break - or sending out busloads of coppers to protect some politico who is visiting. I have actually seen them drive straight past local KNOWN dealers who are sitting there in their cars selling to kids. If they ignore that, then what chance have we got of getting them to take notice of our little problems? When I've ben out in my wheelchair and been stoned (with rocks, not something that might make me a little less miserable!) when I have reported fireworks being flung into the garden . . all I get is 'Who was it?' when Isay I can't say because I can't chase the little swine and don't know them because from day one I've had this treatment so have never been able to get to know anyone in the city never mind around here - then "Nothing we can do."

I dread the day that a thrown firework or bundle ofd flaming rags is thrown onto the flat roof of my 'accessible' extension (the one that has turned me into a total prisoner!) - sets the bitumen felt on fire - and the first I now of it is when the burning roof lands on my bed. I won't be able to get out. As I am alone in the house most of the time - plus the fact that all the fire stations are miles away along roads that are some of the most congested in the city . . .. roast crip today folks! Nobody will ever even know who did it.

Please, please don't assume that living on a council estate guarantees one protection from this sorrt of thing - in fact, the very fact that as soon as I give my address I am assumed to BE an NFH who is feuding with a neighbour and making a false report! It depends entirely on the nature of the people controlling the LA involved. Many are ok. In fact, I have never, in a long and varied life, come across such a callous uncaring bunch of people before. the council spends anawful lot of time whining about the size of its Capital grant from the govt. - but oddly enough, they can afford fresh cut flowers in all the groundfloor rooms of the council house and VERY expensive diners at the best hotel in town. The mayor has a dirty great limousine - I can't even afford batteries for my wheelchair. I doubt if I am the only person in this type of situation - but I don't know as I have never had the opportunity to find out. I canonly afford a pc because both my sons are trained in that field and I build and maintain my own - and because we give up many essentials to pay for the connection!

The only people who will care if I burn will be my sons who will lose not only their only living relative (my ex was only their step father) but also what little support I can give them to finish their education (already impoverished in quality by the Nat. Curriculum and totally truncated for my elder son 'cos he can't leave me to go to uny (Bristol Uny doesn't do the courses he needs) and I am keeping my younger son in 6th form college without any financial support bar a tiny hardship grant - which is why you see so many typos in my posts - my hands are so cold i can't type properly most of the time because I dare not use the heating.

The heating that is so poor because the roof consists only of that felt, a sheet of plywood to support it, and paper acoustic tiles (the type of ceiling you see in offices - tiles not fixed or sealed, so the drafts that come in thru the external tiled edging which has no backing to stop the wind (raise the acoustic tiling and you can see the light coming through - along with the north easterlies - straight on to the uninsulated hot pipes.) If we want repairs done, no matter how much mess is made or how much dust - we have to stay in the house and clean up afterwards - which has already cost me the mobility I still had when we moved here and about a third of my lung capacity - my condition involves emphysema and I am unable to cough up brick and plaster dust) also, my ex husband is ex because the last lot of work done by the council gave him a hernia, so what with the conditions, the neighbours and the wait he would have faced for hernia repair (a truss will do!) he went. Can't really say I blame him.

I sincerely hope there are no LAs as bad as this elsewhere - but I know many are lax in using the powers they have to control NFHs - and it makes me shudder to think that people still think that those living on many council estates are actually 'cared' for by anyone. As we can't afford legal action we can't help ourselves, so we are voiceless - were it not for this blessed forum.

tannasg

Comment

Tannasg

In our town anti social behaviour on LA properties gets treated very much with kid gloves. The local press are very often out in force looking for just these types of issues to print along with our local town radio, and more often than not the Police will actually arrest those responsible for very little just so it looks like they are being proactive.

Recently we have had a spate of drug crime to the north of the town and this has involved firearms. The Police have a huge pressence there and are also considering a Police house which can be manned 24/7. Which is great if you are living there - with a high density of council properties.

I drove through the main road that goes by this estate two days ago, and I have personally never seen so many Police riot vans and just general patrol cars in one place (bar footie matches). To top it all we now have a new drugs sniffer dog in the town and the first place he was put to use was on this vast estate.

Alot of people in this town, particulary people who own their own homes are very angry that one particular area can be singled out for so much treatment which is at the expence of everyone else. If you want the Police in one part of the town it appears you have to justify it. Live on this estate and they are there PDQ. It should not be that way but the reality is very much different. I suppose it's like you say it depends very much on where in the country that you live. Unfortunately my experience of Policing matters is now at an all time low and it often seems to me that they are not prepared to carry out their basic duties. Unless they are rolling around in their fast Volvo estates and Range Rovers with blue lights blazing thinking they are Jack Reagan's answer to the Sweeney, then nothing else actually counts.

This is not what policing is about and you rightly say that if some politico is in town then there is a huge police presence, and I'm sure that this can turn politicians heads at times.

Princess Margaret actually believed that all hospitals smelt of fresh paint, cause everythime she went to open a hospital or visit one, then the decorators would be ordered in before hand to spruce the place up. I personally believe that this is what happens with politians they become so deviod of reality in their own cocooned little world that they really believe there is no problem out there.

So the ode to this is it cuts both sides of the fence no matter if you own your own home or if you live in LA. The grass is not greener over the other side of the fence.

Comment

Lorraine feel free to e mail me if you need any advice. The goverment will from April will be intructing Police services to deal with ASB as part of the national objectives. This will then allow LA to be allocated money to deal with this problem. I would also point you in the direction of our posts. You will see that being on the right side of law affords you no special treatment.

By the way no offence at your comments, but if the situation is not a clear criminal offence then all we can do is provide advice. The police are not the answer to all social problems. In the bigger picture NFH do not feature in any of the police priorities.

Having experience of both sides I tend to agree with the police stance. I`m sorry if that is not what you want to hear. I don`t wish to sound un sypathetic but knowing the truth means you are fully informed which is the first step in finding a solution. It does hurt as we found out .

We are all in this together.

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late replying. Computer problems

We live on a council estate (although we own our own house), its probably not as bad as some and according to our local Inspector there's little street crime which means she has her officers seconded to other areas where there is 'street' crime, it's all a matter of politics. Anyway half the time police officers are in the station filling out the endless forms. As Tannasg says, it all depends on your LA or HA whether any action will be taken. It's only in the last couple of months that anything seems to be happening in my area.

My husband is an ex-policeman, he retired a couple of years ago and that seemed to make us targets for the local yobbery. Low IQ's seem to think they're somehow rather clever if they can 'get one over' on a copper and his family.

I know we've all moaned one time or another about police inaction, but we forget they have a set of rules they have to follow. We can't blame the bobby on the scene if he/she cannot find something to cover that particular situation because it's outside of the rules. We should blame the law makers and the judges and the bleeding heart liberals who have wrecked this country.

Things are so bad in this country that you get the feeling there is some sort of sinister agenda going on. Here we are on the verge of a war that the majority are against, with warnings of terrible things that might happen, makes you wonder just how long before martial law is declared!! We should all be sticking together because although we might all live in different areas and types of housing we all know the misery of having one or more NFH.

The only terrorists I want to see dealt with at the moment are the yobs, the thieves, the rapists, the killers and the NFH whose only purpose in life seems to be to make the lives of other as miserable as possible.

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I am afraid I seem to have caused an upset - it was quite unintentional and I can only say in mitigation that it comes from having been totally alone for so long with nothing to do but swear at the thin walls - after a few years one gets out of practice at social interaction, I'm afraid, because with no normal outside stimulus, all the while with one's mind going round endlessly like a rat in a wheel trying to think of a solution - when lack of mobility prevents any self-help (terribly destructive when one has spent a lifetime using one's head to work out a solution to something and then applying one's physical abilities to go get the matter sorted) it comes out as a tendency to bore on about one's own situation far too much, partly because one lacks the clues body language gives as to how what one says is being received (on an intellectual level one is aware of the importance of body language in human interaction, but it isn't until it totally disappears from all one's dealings with others that the extent to which we actually do use it in communication becomes apparent.

So I'll say goodbye before I commit any more bloomers, and thank you for your patience in putting up with me

Tannasg

(Ali Hunt)

Comment

blimey Tanns!

if we all had the same opionon we would be so dull!

thats whats great about this group, we have all different ideas but fight for the same cause,

I am sure no one has taken offence!

You keep posting and we 'll keep reading and replying!

see you later

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by Tannasg@Mar 9 2003, 8:48 AM

I am afraid I seem to have caused an upset - it was quite unintentional and I can only say in mitigation that it comes from having been totally alone for so long with nothing to do but swear at the thin walls.....

So I'll say goodbye before I commit any more bloomers,* and thank you for your patience in putting up with me

Tannasg

(Ali Hunt)
                Hi Ali

It's threads like this that serve as a stark reminder really - whereas there are many similarities within all our NFH cases and Local Authority approaches to these (and their resources or lack of, available), there are also many, many, different considerations and options open depending very much where you live. (That phrase again - 'postcode lottery'?!). This is wrong, as the approach in theory, should be uniform and consistent on a national scale. That's a whole different problem and debate though.

As for your post - you're entitled and should always voice your own opinion, knowledge and thoughts here! We don't moderate people's opinion or comments on here (unless for obvious reasons!) and you should always, always feel free to voice them (obviously for all of us whilst respecting other people's beliefs and ideas). I personally didn't think your post was deliberately disrespectful or upsetting, just your experiences and thoughts on the matter.

That's one of the things that makes this board such a supportive place with a strong voice. We recognise each other's opinions, and granted we may not always agree with each other, but that is never a problem as we use respect and sensitivity for each other within our postings.

So, please, don't think you've got to stay away each time a bump in the road of opinion crops up - others will tell you, I've had my fair share of mine and I happily voice my ideas, safe in the knowledge members will disagree with me if they want to (I've never got a problem with that personally).

Nothing on the board is ultimately personal and we (all of us) have strived to make the forum a non-judgemental and 'safe' place for all members, I'm convinced that will always continue. So, what I'm saying is, yes, voice your beliefs and don't ever bury your head in the sand, but, if someone disagrees with you (that's life) it isn't neccessarily personally aimed at you.

You're a very welcome member on the board and you offer a unique and very detailed perspective on things as your experience is vast and your knowledge detailed, don't you dare do a runner now!

Comment

Tannasg, don't go!!!

We all have our own opinions, what marks us out from NFH is that we can listen to opinions other than our own and deal with them in a civilized manner. Nobody is ALWAYS right and it's good to hear a variety of opinions. I'm sure you've not upset anybody.

You have as much right to your opinion as anybody else and I'm sure people in this forum will view anything you say as a valid point of view. Of course people don't always agree, but that's life. It's how we deal with it that counts.

I've always found your posts to be informative and interesting. Don't feel you have to be quiet.

Misty (in bossy mode)
                  "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Tannasg - if you leave these boards I shall run down the road naked...hmn - now that will give the shooting ******** something to shoot at! Now listen to me; GET BACK HERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look - this is one place where we can all talk freely because we have a common problem and we're all so wonderfully different. You know the one thing that actually frightens me? Uniformity. Everyone having similar views and living similar lives and fearing or disliking anything different. I'm quite serious, it frightens me. In my own field I fight against blandness.

So blips bumps and differences - it's another nail in the cross of blandness. Do we all have to agree on everything? How boring is that?!

Spinks

Comment

Originally posted by spinkysay@Mar 9 2003, 3:01 PM

Tannasg - if you leave these boards I shall run down the road naked...hmn - now that will give the shooting ******** something to shoot at!* Now listen to me; GET BACK HERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL!!

Have we got out first NFH-Member-Streaker?!

Now that, would be interesting!

Comment

I don't think you would! It was meant as a threat!

Spinks

Comment

Originally posted by spinkysay@Mar 9 2003, 3:39 PM

I don't think you would! It was meant as a threat!

Spinks
                          LOL!

But hey Spinks, it would certainly give us loads of Publicity!

Could you paint www.nfh.org.uk on yourself in big letters before you do it?!

Comment

Tannasg,

I've sent you an e-mail. So please DON'T WORRY. I'm fairly easy going and everyone has a right to their own opinion if I took offence at the slightest little thing then that would make me a biggot (I dunno maybe I am - I could be I just dunno anymore).

In point of fact it is good to get everybody's ideas because that is really the whole idea.

Mathew - get that daffy tune 'Don't worry be happy now' and stick on here !

Scooby

Comment

Matthew, put in this way - in my profession I know plenty of people who would - and three who have in one of mine- - all in the name of art don'tcha know!

Spinks

Er, that isn't rude in any way shape or form.

Comment

Working...
                              X