X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi I'm new!!!

Hi There,

I live in sunny Eastbourne in an old georgian house that has been converted into flats, Flat 1 is the basement flat and has a different entrance to the rest of the building, I live in the top flat up in the roof. Well, Mr X. moved in last year into flat 1 and consistently played his music so loudly that it actaully woke me up and I live in the roof 4 floors up!!! The environmental health were called and he was warned, but the warning did no good he still continues to play loud music until 5 or 6am.

Now, his electricity meter is located in our communial hallway and it has got to the stage where he plays his music so loudly that he actually trips his meter. Any normal person would ring the bell to gain entry into the hall, or maybe obtain a key from their landlord, but not Mr X. he just kicks the door in. One time he did this and the guy from flat 2 went out to have words with him in the hall and found that Mr. X was carrying a machete!!!!!

His landlandy has been contacted and we believe that he has been given a notice to quit, but he's still there.

The Police have been called several times but never come round or do anything, they say that the owner of the property has to complain and there's 6 different owners and none of them seem that botherd. The lock on the main front door is all but useless now and I'm at the end of my tether.

He did it again on Sunday afternoon claming someone had turned off his electricity, my wife and I were the only people in the building and the first we knew of it was when he kicked the door in, I confronted him in the hall and we had words and I called the police yet again but nothing was done.

So, I have an armed man that breaks my front door in regularly and I have my 11 month old son and a pregnant wife upstairs.

What would you do?
    "no matter where you are, that's where you've been".

Hi Saint, welcome to board.

Wow, you really do have a NFH in the basement!!! It must be terrifying for you and the rest of the neighbours to have such a volatile person in such close proximity!!

Have you and your neighbours got together to approach the landlord/lady? You say he's been given notice to quit. Do you know how much notice?

I cannot believe the police will do nothing when a machete weilding thug is entering your premises!!! Do you have a community officer? If so maybe you could ask him/her to call round and explain what is happening. Or perhaps you should go higher. I've found that if I write to the Chief Constable I at least get a visit from a local officer and can explain things, which is much better than trying to explain to someone over the phone or at the police station desk.

This man sounds dangerous. Has he ever threatened you? If he has then the police MUST do something. Just by waving a machete around he is being threatening - it is after all an illegal weapon.

I wish I could give you more advice but I'm sure some of the other members will have other ideas about what you should do. Please keep us up to date on what is happening. Hope things improve.

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Saint,

Welcome to the forum.

So youve an idiot in the basement !!!!

This is not an issue to take lightly!! Especially the machette wielding incident.

As said before you need to start keeping a diary of ALL incidents -dates/times etc . What about the rest of the residents on the block, can they/will they support you in your action by also keeping records.

Not sure, do you all rent or is the flats bought?. If rented then I would be applying FAR more pressure on your landlord than you currently are !! They have responsibilities as well you know!!. You say that an order has been served on this idiot. The reason he is still there is because no one has carried it out!!!. Your Landlord has a lot to answer for- That would be my point of attack on this issue!! Threaten legal action against your landlord- the matter may be resolved much faster than you think!!!!!!

As Misty said, get your community officer involved or go higher up the ladder with regard to police involvement.

Keep your chin up and as I always say to members,

STOP taking c**p off these people.

TODAY is the day that you draw a line in the sand!!!

keep us posted

The Horsefans

ps - I can also offer more "drastic" assistance

tee hee!
      "Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Hi Saint

welcome to the board,

My life what a dreadful situation! Gawd your NFH sounds like they need to be sectioned!

I cant believe that the police have not taken this seriously, Like Misty said you need to get someone to come and see you, as I dont want to see you or the other neighbours on the news tomorrow as a statistic!!

you need to insist that you have a police visit and keep hassling them to you get one......one thing that we have all found is you need to nag and hassle different departments before they get sick of you, then they will act to get rid of you!!

who has "ownership" of the front hall/front door?

as you have a secruity issue there now and need to get it sorted.....its proberly a good job that mr x wasnt given a key as he may of caused all sorts of havoc!!

make a record of every time this guy disterburbs you or threatens you, your other neighbours need to do the same, get on to EHO again and tell them it effecting your lifes and your son, also tell them about the baby on the way and this is causing your wife stress she does not need,

sometimes to have to use the right words....I dont mean exagerate ...but not far off!

Iam sure you are getting unwanted stress so it is not lying.

but I think you and your neighbours need to work together to stop Mr X from being a danger to yourselves...perhaps pop a note through their doors?

you can even invite them to join the site!!

we do have two sets of members who have the same NFH already...it is always useful to get everyones take on a situation.

please let us know how it goes and good luck, please stay safe!

Comment

Each flat is owned by different landlords who are all responsible for the rest of the building however none of them seem to want to get involved. Mr X's landlady has been contacted by phone by another resident and several letters have been sent to her.

As for our Landlady I've tried to contact her for days now with no reply, my "lever" with her is that this damage to the door will affect any insurance policy the joiunt landords have on the property, I'm going to give her a ring again tonight.

fingers crossed.

Comment

Hi Saint,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't really got time to respond in full at the moment or over the next few days. I may be able to put something up tomorrow if possible.

Anyway it seems as though the NFH taskforce are busy contemplating solutions for you so hold up for the time being.

I'm not at all surprised about the police response. They have time to arrest celebrities on crimes from the 1970's but as for the general public thrying to get on with thir lives they don't want to know until it gets to a head.

My mind is mulling this one over and I may have few drastic and not so drastic solutions for you.

RockBank
            Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Hi Saint

A quick welcome to the board and thanks for your posting describing the awful situation you are living with. You've had lots of good points already, so not too much for me to add really in that respect

Like others have said, it's amazing the Police have not taken you seriously, I would definitely take Misty's advice and write, formally, recorded to the most senior police officer's name you can get hold of! (e.g. Chief Const.).

Anyway, come back often and I hope we can offer you support and encouragement here on the board

Comment

Hi again,

just home from work and was reading the updates on your saga.

You must let us know how you get on.

As I have said before in my best Scots accent

"Be like a dog wi a burst ba' !"

(english translation available on request)

Of course we could take the "more permanent" option

Keep in touch

The Nuclear Brothers!! (eh!)

Comment

Hi Saints,

I'm dreadfully sorry to hear about your problems. Living in flats can be a nightmare.

It sounds like this guy is doing this to wind people up. Unfortunately the option of no response isn't open as chances are he's winding up the other neighbours to create a reaction ,which will be what he wants. Chances are someone is giving him the reaction he wants.

I had a noise problem in the flat I used to live in. However it turned out the guy above the "NFH" was causing a disturbance thus provoking retaliation from the flat above me.

As you can see from my story, moving to a house doesn't necessarily prevent this problem.

From what you say the other neighbours are as fed up with the NFH as you. I would strongly suggest visiting the other neighbours to ask for a group discussion on what to do. You should all keep separate logs of the disturbances AND all contact the council, who, I understand, will supply you with noise monitoring equipment.

It may even be worth contacting your local MP over this, but at the end of the day, you will need evidence. Try and persuade everyone not to retaliate though. A group letter may be worthwhile signed by you all to the NFH. Keep it polite and to the point. This way, if its later needed as evidence you can show that you acted reasonably.

If there is a disturbance involving the threat of violence however. Contact the police. They will try and fob you off with an excuse but DEMAND that they do a report. Again this is evidence.

Contact the landlady every single time there is a problem. She will get so sick of it that she will eventually have to act.

In a worst case scenario where you genuinely feel threatened, shout FIRE! at the top of your voice over and over. This always get everyones attention, the NFH will not be expecting this and will likely back off.

Unfortunately it seems as though this episode will have to run a bit longer to reach a resolution and it will require some hard work on your part and considerable patience. Sadly there is no legal short term solution wich maddens me given your wife and childs predicament.

Have a read of my story to let you know about our longer term approach.

Chin up though! You're now not alone in your fight.

Regards

RockBank
                  Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Hi Saint,

we've been away from the party for a couple of days.

Whats the latest news?

Comment

[quote][i]Originally posted by Badger+Jan 31 2003, 11:14 AM-->QUOTE(Badger @ Jan 31 2003, 11:14 AM)
                      [quote]

Comment

OK, He's back,

He was away for a few days but I noticed last night that he has returned. I managed to get hold of my landlady who has been more than helpful, she said that we can do without people like that and that as a joint landlady of the building she will be pressing his landolrd for full payment for the damages he caused. If it does happen again , which I have no doubt it will, then we are to ring 999 and then inform my landlady who will prosecute on our behalf for criminal damage.

So, should he attempt to kick the door in again whilst wealding an offensive weapon the can will definitely be open and you won't be able to move for the worms!!!!!!!

Tis, a slight shame though, I was looking forward to defending myself!

Comment

At last, a proactive land lady!!

at least you now know you have some support from the flat's owners, I hope it doesn't come to the worst scenerio but If it does 999 is a good number!!

If you do have to ring say you need urgent support due to your safety tell them you have others at risk,

you have to tell it as the worst to get immediate help sometimes.

good luck! we are thinking of you!!

Comment

Good luck Saint. I hope he doesn't kick off but if he does at least you now know you have the backing of the landlady.

I agree with Beth, if you have to call 999 impress upon them that this is a seriously dangerous situation. Scream, if you have to!!

Take care

Misty
                            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Saint,

encouraging news from the landlady - but make sure she follows up the "talk" with definite action!!

Dont let up!!

Be like a dog wi a burst ba' !!

keep focused on the problem, this guy is an idiot so dont lower yourself to his mentality!! ( thats rich oming from the preacher of the "take no c**P philosophy!!)

keep in touch!!

PS - Badger - much warmer

Comment

Working...
                              X