This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses

This is just one topic.My neighbour has two horses.She never rides them they are in a stable most of the time just walking round and round.They are also bitting there stable door.

To me this is no life for these horses.

She has a paddock next to the house that is all water logged .Sometimes she lets them in there.When she empties the stables out all she does is put it in the paddock.She doesnt pile it it just spreads all over and the stench is terrible.

The enviromental health say it is just like putting manure down.What a load of rubish.

The paddock .Half she owns and half she has just taken and fenced of .It belongs to the council .I reported it 12 months ago and they havn't done anything about it.She hasnt even got permission to change the garden into a paddock.No one is interested.

I have reported about the horses and all I get is if they are fed and watered no one is interested.

Poor horses.

They have also had 6 dogs 3 cats 12 chickens and 40 reptiles in 2 years and got rid of all.They have now got a pup Dogue De Bordeaux.I dont know how long this will last.

I hate the women.

Shirley.

Hello Shirley

As an animal lover (mainly cats and horses!) I hate it when i see animals being mistreated. From what you're saying it sounds like these horses don't have much of a life.

When you say you have reported the problems, who to? It seems to me there are a few concerns you have. (1) The horses - have you been in touch with the RSPCA?; (2) The "theft" of land from the Council - have you put this issue forward in writing to your local Council?; (3) The smells - if it is really bad, i would be tempted to put something in writing to your local Environmental Health Dept (and keep a record of what is happening to cause these smells).

Good luck to you and i hope you keep us informed of your progress or any other problems you have with your neighbour.

Comment

Hi Shirley,

Welcome to the board

Sorry to hear about your neighbour's horses and land problems, certainly seems like you're getting the worst of a few bits there.

The horses undoubtedly sound bored - haven't they got a salt lick (or similar etc) at least to stop them from gnawing the stable door? Maybe the International League for the Protection of Horses could be of some further info/help or give you another link?

It sounds like you've reported them to the RSPCA? Wasn't there any other info/advice they could offer apart from they are fed and watered ok?

It never fails to amaze me why people who obviously don't care at all about animals keep them, what pleasure can they get from them, and the poor animal's quality of life is often poor.

Anyway, good luck with it all and come back often!

Comment

Hi Shirley and welcome to the board.

I don't know much about horses but it still sounds to me like they are being mistreated. Poor things must be bored out of their equine skulls I once lived in an army block behind a stable and the smell was horrible and those horses were very well looked after. You say she has turned her garden into a paddock. Surely this is illegal. You should point out to the council that if she keeps their property fenced off for 12 years she will be able to claim it for herself and not pay them a penny for it.

She also sounds like a danger to any animal she might own. It gets me so angry when I hear about people who get animals and then get fed up with them and get rid of them. To me, an animal is for life. She is obviously not an animal lover!

Have you approached your local councillors? They might be able to help.

Good luck in getting something done and don't forget to let us know how things are going.

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome.

Ive done everything in my power.Ive been on to HAPPA and I know someone who has been on to RSPCA about the horses and all they said was if they are fed and watered there is nothing they can do.

With the council they havnt done anything possitive.They have approached her and they said she had shown an interest in renting or buying.I told them I was interested in buying the land and they said she would be given first choice to buy it.Nothing has been done in 12 months about it.

I had noice and I did a log of it.

The way that got stopped was when my partner phoned them and asked them at 1.30 am and asked them to turn the music down.She told him there was nothing he could do about it.he said he would go round she said come.Red flag to a bull.My partner is very quiet but he scalled the fence better than Red Rum.Its a good job they didnt come to the door.

We dont get loud music very much now.

Whenever I have been in touch with the council all I get are a load of idiots.

It does help to know there are people who listen and help.

Thank you everyone.

Shirley

Comment

hi Shirley,

welcome to the group!

I have read your story with interest, I think the main thing is to get back to the council about the stolen land.

if the land is taken back there will be less chance of them keeping the poor horses due to the smaller space.

does any one know if there is a minimum enclosure law for horses?

Personally I would be going mad with the smell, especially with the summer coming up. EHO are supposed to deal with smells as well!

Don't let the council fob you off!

we all like a good fight here......I mean a war of words not fisty cuffs!!

Comment

Re: minimum space for horses.

I have just spoken to a horsey friend in the know. Don't think there are any rules about this. Many horses near them are stabled (particularly in winter, some all year round).

I isn't nice for the horse and i don't agree with keeping them hemmed in, I think they should have enough safe space to gallop and roll about freely.

Sorry about this Shirley.

Comment

I am posting for further help about this in one of the USENET newsgroups: uk.rec.equestrian to see if they may be able to suggest any further advice or help. I used to horseride very regularly as a child/teenager - but I'm afraid my knowledge isn't up to date at all!

Will post up any responses I get back here

Comment

Hi Shirley

It is distressing to see animals being neglected but I am glad you have followed the right channels re your concerns on the horses (RSPCA/ HAPPA) etc

With them biting their stable doors, this is something that horses do unfortunately, primarily boredom but also to keep their teeth in good shape if they are got getting enough "roughage" ie hay. Im afraid they are actually quite destructive animals!!

Re the stink. This may be your "trump" card. Horses , are quite "stinky" animals especially their droppings which have a very distinctive odour. This is where you need to get the EHO involved but this could become quite a messy issue(pardon the pun)

Obviously not sure about the layout of the area but do the horses have a paddock? or is it in a built up area?

Do the horses have a salt/mineral lick and access to fresh water?

I take it that the owner is feeding them and worming them etc??

keep in touch

The Horsefans

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

I've had one response from the newsgroup uk.rec.equestrian so far (from 'Claire & Wellington') and here it is for info:

Sorry Matthew but the authorities are 'correct' in that there is nothing

they can do legally, although it is clear that the horses are in less than

ideal conditions to put it mildly.

The manure being spread around could constitute a statutory nuisance if it

smells, although as it is not a commercial property that may be difficult to

deal with. Speak to your local council's environmental health dept about

that one.

Has anyone discussed their concerns with the horse owner? Is she ignorant

about how horses should be cared for? Does she think she is being kind by

not putting them in a waterlogged paddock, but overlooking the fact that

they need exercise?

Sorry not much help - my other half works in environmental services so has

come across this sort of thing before and the RSPCA approach is ......not

popular shall we say.

Claire & Wellington[/b]

Will post up any more responses.

Comment

Thanks Mathew for all your help.Ive phoned enviromental health today and asked them to send someone round.

I am going to go see a councillor about the land.

The women is so selfish.You cant tell her anything.

The trouble is she has got two beautiful little girls .One 11 and one six.They will grow up thinking it is OK to treat animals in this way.

Is it my thinking but are most neighbours from hell as thick as planks and there children grow up even thicker.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Shirley

Comment

Ah the nature or nurture argument!

children will grow up doing things they see their families do, a learning process

unfortunately they don't always learn the right way

Comment

Yup - one can keep horses close tio the house - comes from their use as transport - obviously people didn't want to have to go miles to get to their transport!

Horses do not smell unpleasant if they are kept properly. I used to keep mine in our huge garden - with a shed converted to a stable just by the backdoor. BUT - all his droppings were picked up each morning and evening - off the grass and obviously out of the stable! - if they are left on the grass, the land becomes 'horse-sick' - it is usual to rotate the use of fields with other animals for this reason if droppings aren't picked up; it is only ok to keep horses on one piece of ground continually if the droppings are removed daily. Only used to take me 10 mins or so. Put them on a properly stacked and drained dungheap - we had a really fussy neighbour and she never complained at all - in fact she loved him - and got her own daughter a pony!

When we moved into town I used to bring him up to the flat - we had the ground floor and garden - and put him in the garden while I did what I had to do - no-one objected at all - and if he left droppings, people used to compete with bucket and spade for the sake of their roses! In any case, when a horse leaves droppings on the road, they just dry up and blow away - they are only vegetable matter - quite unlike the grease of dog**** which everyone knows sticks horribly and stinks in a nauseating manner that is almost impossible to remove completely. Never mind what it carries.

Horses carry very little that can harm humans - tetanus - against which we are vaccinated - tends to be found where there are horses, but they are more at risk from it than are we, and even so - tetanus is an anaerobe found anywhere there is soil! It is not peculiar to ground occupied by horses. Worms - again, if they are kept properly, they don't have them. Same with all other parasites. Diseases other than tetanus? Well - I've been in close contact with horses and ponies at every opportunity all my life - and you know the saying healthy as a horse . . . again, twasn't the horses - twas the doctor who crippled me . . .

These animals mentioned here are being kept really unsuitably - in fact their feet really are at risk of 'mudheel' - also bogspot (soft patches on the horn and sole) - and heaven only knows what else is wrong - nutritional shortages - minerals and so on . . . are their feet trimmed properly? That should be done even if they are not ridden because if they are kept on soft ground they do not wear naturally and when they grow too long they turn up and cause really serious joint problems by throwing the horse's stance out of true.

Caring for a horse is a very time consuming occupation - it was because I couldnt be absolutely certain that I could check on mine 3 times a day in winter (the field he occupied was prone to flooding when the Nevis was in spate - which can happen in minutes when there is a downpour up the glen or over one of the hills - even at a long distance - and he could get cut off from his shelter and feed, so that thrice daily check was essential) but in winter, even horses kept in ordinary fields should be checked twice a day.

It broke my heart parting with Mungo - I had waited all my life for my own horse - really my own, not long term loan but brought up from very young to come to hand without any bribes or chasing - he used to come galloping as soon as he heard the bit and stirrups rattle against the metal gate, even tho he knew he didn't get fed until feed time. He just liked to go out with me - but if I couldn't be sure of caring for him properly - I had to let him go.

Animals have the same rights as we do. Not precisely the same needs, but broadly similar - clean safe surroundings, adequate food and care etc . . . and not to be tormented - which leads me to why I came to this section and found the magic word 'Horses'! . .. Look for 'Birds'

tannasg

Comment

Hell I forgot - here's a norse in a garden . . . yes, the one I was on about - Mungo

Comment

Working...
                            X